Sick Beani

_sheebz

so on boxing day, i decided to buy a few bala sharks to use as dithers in my beani tank.

apparently beanis are faster than bala's cause he ate more than half of them.

ever since his shark binge, which was this past wednesday/thursday, he hasnt eaten any pellets and only eaten a couple pieces of mysis shrimp and is pooping out white stringy stuff.

now i know beani's are super touchy and super susceptible to disease's and everything, but i just cant figure out what i should be treating for, if anything?

from what i first thought, i figured it was a bacterial parasite from eating the dirty big al's bala sharks, so i treated with API GENERAL CURE. he has been pooping out more of the white stuff. so now my question is, is that good or bad? i would assume it would be good because hes expelling it? but could that also mean its getting worse???

i also posted on MFK and they seem to think its bloat. I've know from the beginning when i got the beani at .75in that they are known to get bloat more than anything, but i really dont think thats what it is. his stomach isnt puffed out, he isnt losing color, and he is swimming perfectly fine.

Now, the other thing im thinking it could be is last weekend i built a new stand for my tank and had to drain it to move it onto the new stand.

i had him sitting in a tupperware for about 45 minutes while i got everything all set back up and floated him for a bit then put him in the tank.

he was all good as far as i could tell until he ate the bala's. but it could be just a coincidence that he got sick at the same time from being stressed from the move???

would it be safe to treat for bloat on wednesday or thursday when my GENERAL CURE treatment is finished? or should i just wait it out??

will post pics of him in a few minutes

Do you have any NLS Thera+A on hand? It's decent for internal bugs w/o any harmful side effects to your fish or your biofilter. He looks quite healthy. What poop isn't a good sign, but if he isn't listless and acting pretty normal, I wouldn't worry a whole lot, yet.

He isn't eating at all right now.

The only thing I've seen him eat in the last 3 days is 3 or 4 pieces of mysis shrimp.

He looks interested in pellets and shrimp, but just keeps on swimming.

He is super active and all. I don't know what to think

just read up on it. sounds like it treats the same this as the medication im using right now. but i wouldnt mind trying it out if this stuff doesnt work.

it says i have to put the fish in a seperate tank. is that a must? or can i just treat it in my main tank? because i dont have a secondary tank to throw him in

I have never used API general cure so I have no idea. Clout doesn't effect the nitrifying bacteria so I use it where ever nessasary. I also use it as a prophylactic when quaranteeing new wild caught shipments.

tomorrow the general cure treatment will be finished and i will be doing a 45-50 gallon water change.

i added a holw bunch of epsom salts this morning to the tank. its a 150 gallon, so i put in 1 tbsp of salt per every 5 gallons.

i will be adding more salt according to the water change i do tomorrow night and will continue to try the epsom salt treatment for the next few days. if nothing changes i will be giving the clout treatment a shot.

thanks alot for your help guys

I forgot about epsom salt as I seldom use it ---if you are brave you can dilute it and use a turkey baster to shoot some down the beani's throat, But pm RD or fairdeal first for proper dosage and instructions as I forgot the details.

RD. was the one that told me to try the Epsom salts. He didn't mention anything about putting it down his throat though??

Maybe I'll ask about that and give it a try as well.