Buying Bettas Overseas?

BettaLove1

Hi everyone,

I have a tank set up that I'm looking to inhabit with another betta (it's turning into an addiction! :D ) . However, I've been looking high and low for a halfmoon betta, or even a delta, that I like or that is in good shape and I've been having great difficulty. I'm now considering buying overseas (aquabid) but am a bit hesitant. I was wondering if the price to get just one would be astronomical (considering shipping fees for a single little guy)? Is it even possible for them to make it here in good shape considering our winters? It seems people have had loads of success with aquabid so that makes me more inclined to buy from there. I'd be more than okay with buying locally of course, so if someone could possibly recommend or knows of a local breeder that would be fabulous.

Thanks for your help in advance :D

There's actually some canadian sellers on aquabid too and some of them have some nice bettas. You could also try Aquarium Central and Big Als too. Make nice with some of their staff and they will let you know when they get in their bettas and you can have first choice. I was in seventh heaven when someone let me into the backroom of a calgary lfs when they just got in their bettas!!!! Shipping on aquabid can be expensive but there sure is some nice fish!!

I'm trying to convince Harold (fairdeal) to bring in some bettas when he does an Asian fish order likely in the next couple month's once the Brazillian pleco order is done. I have been going over the stocklists and photo's from the supplier and there were some pretty hot bettas on it, both domestic line bred and wild forms.

there are some canadian importers or breeders that sell online here, back in the spring I bought one from this guy in Vancouver http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/-strse-Bettas/Categories.bok, reasonably priced, and easy to deal with

the problem with going through aquabid, is that the sellers in malaysia, ect, usually ship them through a transshipper, which then gets expensive, as they are the middleman, and deal with all the costs of importing, ect, then they ship the fish off to you ( I'm not 100% on all of this, this is just what I had found while looking into it)

I'm still looking for a nice blue butterfly too, waiting to hear from mko on this forum or aquarium central... If neither works out, then I'd be interested in importing too.

When I spoke with transhippers... One was offering $80 for shipping a single betta and the other was offering something like $160 for up to 6 bettas.

Thanks everyone for all your help! :D . I went to Aquarium Central today and got a gorgeous little guy; thanks for recommending them! I couldn't believe the stock of bettas they have there...totally overwhelming. That just may have become my new favourite store. It was hard to come home with just one!

Haha I had quite some trouble choosing too. Buuuut it looks like I might have to go shopping again. I left my house late last night and this morning I got a text from my mom...

My new little guy I got last night has disappeared. Literally. He's in a 5 gal filtered tank which I rigged a plexiglas lid up for. The only gap is about half an inch, maybe an inch, right next to the filter. He's not in the filter, not in a plant. Not even on the ground. So I'm stumped. Is it possible he found a way out of that tiny gap beside the filter?

I have no idea but I'm very sad about this :(. I'm just stumped. Apparently I got a Houdini fish

So I went back to Aquarium Central and found a beautiful (obviously XD) halfmoon. Hopefully this one will stay in the tank once I get him in there. He's going to stay in my temporary tank until I get a better lid for the other one. I also picked up a couple little Japanese blue swordtail guppies....totally neat fish! I just couldn't pass them up.

Pictures of the new betta will be coming soon!