whole in the head.

severum_03

metronidazole is excellent for curing HITH. Petsmart now sells Jungle brand Anti-Parasite Medicated food which contains metronidazole. I definitely recommend feeding the medicated food to the affected fish. The meds are milled into the food instead of just coating it like some med foods, so it's much more effective. Here's a link so you know what the product is like:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1122158668478

You can feed the food an treat with waterborne meds at the same time, but be sure to treat with waterborne meds in a quarantine tank since they'll likely kill your bio-filter.

This med by Jungle looks promising - the website doesn't list the active ingredients but I'd be pretty sure it is metronidazole.

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=NJ040-10

Hex-a-mit is supposed to be pretty good as well, if you can find it.

If the symptoms are early, I have had great success with "Jungle Hole-N-Head Guard". Cleared it right up in less than a day using 87-89F. In my cases, mine started as 1/16 spots with white protrusions. Awesome stuff.

I don't know what caused my Discus to start with spots, they both took a turn getting them at different times. But I do a 30% water change every second day and I hope that keeps the bacteria count down in the water column. I haven't seen them with spots again, but I'm not sure what caused it in the first place. Since I got them, they always get 30% every 2 days. Maybe they were still a bit new. Good luck with yours and hope all goes well.

Guest severum_03

I am not sure what is causing this but I was replacing about one half of the water once a week maybe I should be increasing that.Thanks

Metronidazole can be bought in liquid form from your local vertrinarian for a very cheap price. You might have to call a few of them, but it's pure, not in medicated food or powder form.