Female Guppies Dying

SuperGuppyGirl

Having a crisis and am completely at a loss of what to do. I am running a 70gallon cube tank with a eheim ecco pro canister filter, a 30" bubble wall in the back of the tank with fake plants and some decor. My water is crystal clear and all my levels are in the safe zone, temperature is at a steady 81 degrees fahrenheit, I have in there a rubber lip pleco, common pleco, an algae eater, a red wag platy, a blue spotted/coral platy, a blue mickey mouse platy, 4 zebra danios, 2 leopard danios and roughly 25 female guppies left. The problem is my female guppies seem to be dying off with no discernable sign of disease or parasites other than clamped fins. I have used everything from the parasite /fungus clear to the Api medications for just about everything, I was losing 3-4 females every couple of days and am down to losing one every 2-3 days. When this first started happening I had roughly 50 females, it only seems to be affecting my guppies as I have lost none of the others. Anyone know of what could be causing this? I have taken water samples in and a fresh corpse and the pet store employees are stumped.

Clamped fins w no other signs of disease does sound like harassment. The only other thing I can think of is egg-bound.

If your algea eater has a dimond patteren down it's sides it's a CAE, Chinese algae eater. They are known to harrass other fish and they like the taste of slime coats. Which can lead to death from they damage they cause. Other then that all i can think of is.... have they been breeding? Post partum can make them succeptable due to what their bodies have gone through, stress is harder and more deadly to take. It's the only time i've lost a female to harrasment stress.

81' seems really high for guppies. All my guppy tanks are at 75-78' and I don't have mass dieoffs. So is the tank filled with only female fish? or only female guppies-no males?

Clamped fins can mean stress or disease sometimes ick can be hidden in the gills and you don't see it, but as it is only your guppies dying then it is most likely stress.

Danios can cause stress by being very active and harassing the guppies.

I inspected the algae eater no diamond pattern so thinking he is an Otto, and there are no signs of wounds or shredded fins,

there are pregnant females in there but I haven't found any fry in at least 2 weeks and some of the pregnant ones no longer are so either

they birthed and the fry were eaten or they are aborting, the guppies are all female, I keep the males and fry in separate tanks, the platies are 2 M and 1 F,

and have no idea what gender the pleco and algae eater is, and believe the danios are all M.

Sorry have no idea what egg-bound is,

My tank levels are reading:

ammonia 0.2

kh 120ppm

gh 180ppm

ph 7.5ppm

no2 0

no3 40

A reading of any ammonia will kill your fish. Slowly if the dose is low like yours. Also 40 for nitrate is a little high for my tanks. Sounds like its water change and a good vacuume time. What kind of dechlorinator do you use? Does it remove chloromines? Are you dosing properly for the amound in Edmonton water? Did you recently swap filter media or substrate?

If your algae eater can hang off the glass, it may be an Otto. But if you have. Ever seen him doing this it more than likely is a CAE or SAE. Especially if it is bigger than about 2 inches. Ottos stay small. How many males and femes are in the tank? Unrelentless males can also be a problem.

The algae eater is always hiding in my plants or the decorations, just did a water change 4 days ago about 50 percent and cleaned gravel and plants, as it seemed my 25 percent weekly ones weren't working and the pet store guys said give it a try, no male guppies in the tank as i don't want uncontrolled breeding, could this possibly be columnaris? I can't seem to find anything visibly wrong with them, no white patches but not really any info for the disease and guppies.

Oh and sorry I use Prime and Stability for my chemicals, and I swapped out my filter media with the water change, bio filter balls and zeo carb just in case it was in there since i couldn't seem to find anything in tank.

was it a 100% media change? Nothing of the old media to help good bacteria remain established? Might have more problems if things have to get re-established. Was the water test done before or after the water change? I wonder what improvements/changes its made.

Another possiblity. Is there any chance water got into the bottle of prime? I'm thinking accedental splash/drops of water from the water change. Sometimes when it happens it can use up/deactivate the entire bottle. Some brands will have a colour change. Had it happen once to me with a bottle of aqua plus that had the measuring cup attached to the screw on cap. I tend to rinse the measuring cups in the water during changes, must of had some drops get into the bottle. The contents that where amber/brown went clear. After that it was not working and i had to buy another bottle (different brand).

Thank you guys so much, hoping this clears it from my tank, I removed the Danios to a 5 gallon till I can get rid of them this weekend, and am going to try and see if they are egg bound as Jvision suggested, checked my tank and really not that much fecal matter, thinking the medicine bunged them up and that might be killing them, and yeah only bacteria left was the water so expecting a few more issues and now know to ignore pet store advice. On a good note 48 hours since I lost last one so, fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

They seemed to get better with the peas added but still having some mystery deaths so switching around my plecos and seeing if thats possibly an issue, had some of my males start to have issues and ended up switching the betta out hoping that is the issue, am never getting guppies off that lady again, she lost most of her stock and had the nerve to say she never had any parasites/ fungal issues but she had posted up in kijiji about mysterious deaths in her tank and was looking for fancy females, what a crock