New Aquarium Substrate

noot

I am starting up a new 90 gal aquarium I just got off a guy from Kiji. I am going to have it as a community tank but am hoping so save a few dollars where I can. Is there any inexpensive ways to put gravel or a substrate into an aquarium. The gravel at any of the big stores is expensive, especially with the size of tank I just picked up. Someone at work suggested chicken scratch (gravel you can pick up at UFA?) would really appreciate any feed back. The aquarium came with a fluval fx5 canister filter, incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help

I use sand in my tanks. Playsand is about $7 for 50lb at Home Depot (Quickrete brand seems to be the cleanest). If you go to a sandblasting supplier, you can get around 100lbs for less than $20 depending on the type you buy. I have used Sil8, Sil9 and crushed Garnet from these stores.

If you're going planted w 3"+ sand depth, make sure to get some MTS and/or other burrowing snails/fish to keep the sand from compacting and going anaerobic.

I have had planted tanks w up to 6" deep w out problems using these critters.

If you need some, I have lots at work at WEM.

Thanks to everyone. Dovii, I went to SIL's web site but couldn't find SIL #9 gravel. I see silica sand SIL#8, is this what you are using, or is there someting else that I just cant find. Is it sold under the filtration? any help would be appreciated.

I've posted steps on getting a clean tank MANY times, but it basically boils down adding water very slowly as to not stir up the substrate a lot. My experience is that Sil9 is usually pretty clean

Just remember tho...play sand is inert. It will not provide any nutrients for a planted tank. Some people as well as I have noticed that for fine small plants such as the short grasses everything can be pulled up easier with a fine sand than a gravel.

I know aquatic keepers who are dedicated to just sand...however they use pool sand rather than play sand. It is of a higher quality (if there is even such a thing lol) with less dust. It's also meant for a human contact situation as being in a filter so there will be much less a possibility of unwanted foreign debris or contaminates. Such as a product by lets say Target, who also sells cement and many other fish hazardous products. BUT of course someone will always say...so and so produces cement and pool sand both...my comments were just of a general guideline as I know others have concerns as I said above. :)

I'll post a tip later to save someones floss when a quick water clean up is needed as when vacuuming or adding new substrate...to get rid of all those solids in suspension!

ck

I am starting up a new 90 gal aquarium I just got off a guy from Kiji. I am going to have it as a community tank but am hoping so save a few dollars where I can. Is there any inexpensive ways to put gravel or a substrate into an aquarium. The gravel at any of the big stores is expensive, especially with the size of tank I just picked up. Someone at work suggested chicken scratch (gravel you can pick up at UFA?) would really appreciate any feed back. The aquarium came with a fluval fx5 canister filter, incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hey if you are still looking for gravel I have loads left over from various tanks. I'm starting to go commando in my tanks for my rays. (lol commando is just glass in case you were wondering.) (well I think I'm funny)

If you want it its yours just bring a bucket(s) so I can keep my containers. I have black and then a bunch of multi color