Angelfish Ate Too Many Live Shrimp In Tank And Constipated

heatherw2

I really dont want to loose her, she is One of my favorite angelfish and she is constipated.

red flagments coming out of bowel but blocked, tried epsom salt one teaspoon per gallon and then uped it to two teaspoons per gallon

nothing has happening as of 24 hours and she started to swim funny so I refreshed the water and now trying peas.

She wont eat them so Im afraid the worse is going to happen, starting to get swim bladder problems now.

She is in a hospital tank and since I just joined the forum I thought I would see if anyone has a suggestion on what to try next..

Thanks

will try to post a picture soon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard to feed your fish flake or other dried food that has been soaked in glycerol or castor oil or medicinal paraffin oil to help remove the colon blockage that causes the constipation in your fish but I've never tried this myself so would be unsure of effects. Also with the peas are are you using non canned peas with the outer "husk/shell covering" removed?

I never tried castor oil or the glycerol nor parrafin oil but the peas are shelled and mushed,

She wont eat anymore so maybe I would try castor oil in bloodworms maybe?

hmmm guess its worth a try, the other alternative is watch her die which would be sad.

Thanks will pick some up and see

I agree with Val on this, & even if you can't see any other infected fish in your tank it doesn't mean the others aren't infected. By the time you notice the worms hanging out of the fish, the worm is already at it's reproductive stage. In order to treat your fish effectively they need to be treated in a bare bottom tank & treated with the powdered form of Levamisole at a dosage of 0.1 gram for every 10 gallons of water. I disolve it in warm water & then add it to the tank. The importance of using a bare bottom tank is because the Levamisole usually doesn't kill the worm it only paralizes it.

You need to remove the worms expelled by the fish at least once a day. I do a complete water change day 3 & redose. On day 6 they can be moved back to their tank. I usually treat the the tank they're going back into if it has gravel in it as well to get the worms that may have been hidden in the gravel as well but that's a personal preference. You also might want to redose in the bare bottom tank in 30 days to insure you got them all. After treatment the fish should start to eat again after a few days. I try to feed on day 3 to see if their appetite has returned. When the fish has expelled the worm it leaves a wound that the fish should recover from if treatment wasn't left to long but death can occur if it was. Good Luck!!

thought I would try airdrie vets but they are now closed so will have to try again tomorrow but thats what it looks like to me.

unfortunately I moved several plecos from that tank into two different large tanks with several hundred angelfish babies so I hope I dont have an outbreak here.

so far just the one is showing signs of this but its not an easy treatment to find.

The fish stores are leaning to general cure which I dont think will work according to what I have read.

Thanks.