From A 60 To A 120

Nukes25

so, as it was my birthday last week, I had found a great deal on kijiji just before, and picked myself up a 120gallon as a present to myself.

I stored it in my moms' garage for the last 2 weeks while I figured out where to locate it in my place, as my fish room is also my bedroom ( warmest room, so heaters dont have to work crazy)

so after some rearranging, I had it set, and brought it home tonight after I finnished work ( I cheated and left early, had a coworker help me)

so now she's set, put a little bit of water in her, gotta give her a clean, then make sure she's all good and level, and make a simple cover for now to hold the light fixture

IMG_2746.jpg

and what I will see when I go to sleep/ wake up

IMG_2748.jpg

.. I know its under the window, but I've got it insulated and covered up, I work nights so I need it dark during the day, and the thermometer there reads @25* celsius

the gf's 45 bowfront is just to the left, but that'll be closed down and put up for sale once the move is all done

Edited by Nukes25

In reguards to stocking, my 60 will be moving into here, so there will be:

1 L134

1 L076

2 L052

2 panda cories

7 apisto's ( 2x caucatoides, 2x Panduro, 2x eunotus, 1x trifasciata)

1 firemouth

8 Frankeii tetra's

there's a bunch of mts snails in there now, I'll try and sift some out to transfer over as well

to add to the stock, I'll be looking into some more nice pleco's, more different apisto's ( I'm really trying to find Barlowi's/ Maulbruters, a mouth brooding apisto)

for filtration, my 'perfect/sun sun/ marineland' filter I received 3 weeks ago will be going on, as well as an odyssea cfs500 I just received the other day ( similar to a fluval fx5)

lighting for now will be the 48`` currentusa power compact fixture I got for free 2 weeks ago and the blue led strip light for nighttime

so here is a pic of the odyssea cfs500

IMG_2751.jpg

and I made my own spray bar for it today

IMG_2757.jpg

I still have to drill the holes for it, but my plan is to have it along the left side wall of the tank, shooting straight across the whole length of the tank. both filters have spray bars, and both will be on the left wall, this one will be 1/3 of the way down, and the other filter`s bar sits close to the water level

I also have enough pipe and bits to make another 2 bars if anyone is interested

Sounds great, LOTS of room for those fish. Have you had that canister filter working yet? Or will this be the first tank you've used it on? I've seen it online and wondered if it's any good so I'm hoping you'll be my own personal guinea pig, lol. Looking good.

the sun sun/perfect one I`ve got running, it`s been going for almost a month now, no problems on the 60g

this new odyssea, not running yet, as I need to level and fill the tank ( tomorrow :) forgot to pick up a level at Rona, and didnt pick up saw, ect from my mom`s today

and especially when I'm going from 48x16 to 72x19 for groundspace to work with, lots of room to make caves, ect :)

this is why I cant wait for morning, so I can pick up the stuff I didnt get today, so that I can hopefully fill it tomorrow, then I just need my heater to come in ( another ebay trial)

Edited by Nukes25

DISASTER

so after picking up a level today, and making sure that the tank was spot on level, I start filling it up, get it full, no more than 10 minutes after being topped off, I hear ~crack~ the back left corner cracked and now leaking out, Ive got hoses draining it as fast as I can to limit the water that's leaking :( :( :(

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

so is this repairable, or is it scrap now?

heres a better pic now that the water is all drained

IMG_2776.jpg

on the lighter side, I did drill out the spray bar I made, I liked the flow coming out of it, I drilled 20- 3/32 holes

IMG_2770.jpg

Edited by Nukes25

Unreal. People seem to be having horrible luck with these bigger tanks on this forum lately. It's definitely repairable but might not be worth the expense (depending on what you already have into it). A lot of people would say to go with a plywood tank, you already have three sides and would just need to fit a piece of plywood in the back.

• 1 month later...

I lean towards the plywood tank idea because its simple. Haven't done it myself, a bit curious if a person could use fibreglass resin - cheap and easy to work with. I'm surprised to see a tank to big crack like that. :(

Spray bar looks nice, You should paint it black when you get the chance.

I'd get a piece of glass and and fix it bro. A piece of 1/2" should be around 100 to 150 bucks at the most maybe even less especially if it's recycled plate glass. Remove the whole section and replace then use the new side as your front. that way you can still get use out of the tank and have a shiny new front....

take your measurements and call around, it's not a lost cause by any means and its easy to fix

I feel for ya dude.

I'd get a piece of glass and and fix it bro. A piece of 1/2" should be around 100 to 150 bucks at the most maybe even less especially if it's recycled plate glass. Remove the whole section and replace then use the new side as your front. that way you can still get use out of the tank and have a shiny new front.... take your measurements and call around, it's not a lost cause by any means and its easy to fix I feel for ya dude.

Wow I want your tanks.