Co2 Diffuser/reactor

cainechow

What is everyone using for CO2 diffusing? DIY reactor vs, ceramic/glass vs. ?

I was planning to build a DIY PVC reactor but came across http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aquarium-fish-tank-co2-atomizer-system-8-12mm-hose-107659 today. Seems kinda small to be effective enough to fully diffuse CO2 before it gets spewed out the other side.

Thoughts?

I just put the CO2 into the INTAKE (not the Venturi) of a powerhead. I creates a fine mist and disperses it throughout the tank.

What is everyone using for CO2 diffusing? DIY reactor vs, ceramic/glass vs. ?

I was planning to build a DIY PVC reactor but came across http://www.dealextre...2mm-hose-107659 today. Seems kinda small to be effective enough to fully diffuse CO2 before it gets spewed out the other side.

Thoughts?

They work, but I heard were a pain to clean. They also need a higher delivery pressure so if your regulator has a delivery pressure of 40+ psi then your ok but if not don't buy one.

Ive used every kind of diffusing method other then the atomizer and every way has its pros and cons. A pvc reactor works well but you need to run a venturi so gas doesn't build up or it can get noisy. A glass diffuser works well in smaller tanks but you need to keep them clean. Soaking in tilex every now and then will keep it clean. A powerhead works well but it wastes co2 but i suggest doing a needle wheel mod if using a powerhead.

I'm just using the little elite mini(also used an AC powerhead) but I've not had any issues with the co2 bubbles causing problems with the impeller. It does make a little bit of noise when the co2 goes through the filter but never had a problem with the impeller skipping or stopping.

If you're worried about the bubbles being too big for the filter you can always hook an airstone up and have that flow into the filter uptake.That way a mist of bubbles is being sucked up instead of big bubbles. I've also tried it that way and it worked great except my airstone(a wood one) made this weird high pitched noise from the bubbles coming through it that I switched to the elite mini way instead.