Oddball Inverts Growing In Tank; Id Help Appreciated

joeysgreen

I have two planted tanks that have been going for 2-3 months now. One, with a simple gravel bottom has these worms growing in the substrate.

DSC00005-1.jpg

Do you think they came in with the gravel (meant for growing plants), or the plants themselves? It looks like only the one tank has them; the other, has a mixture of different gravel and some sort of little brown balls meant for plants. So one might think they came in with the gravel, but perhaps the substrate just doesn't support them in the other cage.

Nonetheless, I'm not worried in the least about them. They probably cycle a lot of waste, and if the newts can catch them, would make a nice snack. On that matter, the worms are up to about 4cm long x 1mm wide and sit with their tails sticking out of the substrate 1-2cm. Upon touching they dissappear in a flash.

Any idea as to what these are?

The second oddball has me a little more concerned but I don't want to jump to a conclusion that it's a predator. It's slightly over 1cm long (guestimate) and has only been seen once sitting on some wood that's very old and slowly degrading. It almost looks like a 3wk old aquatic cricket!

DSC00016-1.jpg

DSC00014-1.jpg

DSC00012-1.jpg

Have you seen anything like this before?

Thanks for any help and insight,

Ian

Don't know about the worms but the second one looks like a dragonfly larvae. They can hitchhike into tanks on new plants put in, I had one in my planted tank that I removed as they have been known to eat small fry and shrimp. Don't think it can hurt larger fish but wouldn't promise anything. If you do decide to get rid of it, good luck as they can be pretty damn fast and as you can see blend in quite well with their surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

The worms kinda make me squirm. I bet their nothing, but I donno....

If they find you missing an arm one day, cuz you stuck ur hand in the tank for too long, I won't be surprised.

:boxed:

Edited by Iceturf

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you figured out what that thing was in your tank? The creepy crawler thing, I think I got one in my shrimp tank!!! Freaked me out when I saw it... I don't like creepy crawly things... yuck!

What can I do to get rid of it? It is a heavily planted tank with Ember tetras and cherry shrimp, I am unlikely going to be able to catch it.

if you have not had success to remove them perhaps something like prazi or something with fenbendazole.

He was sitting in a plant really close to the top of the tank, in full light. Looked like it was getting ready for an ambush. I picked him out with a pair of tweezers, it was like Mr. Myagi and the chopstick fly catching! Needless to say I'm not feeding him anything cause I mangled it pretty bad.

Still makes me shiver, that thing was seriously UGLY!

• 3 months later...