Cloudy Everytime?!

Ok, this is crazy! I have a 20g tall, have checked all the water parameters and they are good, running a marineland penguin 150B HOB filter with the carbon removed cause I'm fertilizing, it's a planted tank. Sand bottom, plants everywhere, snails, Amano shrimp, fish, algae.....

Everytime I put water in the tank, for a water change or just to top it off, I get cloudy water. Everytime!!!! I put in 2 liters today just to top it off.... cloudy. I have a 10g planted and this does not happen. What am I doing wrong?

any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is milky cloudy. As for how long - that depends on how much water I added. Usually it clears up by the next day. One thing I forgot to say was that when I do a water change (less than 25%) it will cloud up but will also get all over the glass and I have to clean it. ???

I'm pretty sure it's not tiny air bubbles. The water looks like it's dusty, I'm pretty sure its a bacterial bloom in the new water but how can I prevent this, and why does it only happen in the one tank?

It doesn't happen instantly, takes maybe about an hour or so to develop. I just topped it off this morning so it's already starting to clear up. By tomorrow morning it should be back to normal.

I'm pretty sure it's not tiny air bubbles. The water looks like it's dusty, I'm pretty sure its a bacterial bloom in the new water but how can I prevent this, and why does it only happen in the one tank?

Is it Edmonton city tap water?

if so, going by your location given, south Edmonton...I would have a hard time to believe that there is a bacteria problem with your water...that would then mean you and everyone in that entire area are drinking water with such a bacteria. I'm no water engineer though...perhaps that area does have such an issue.

Throw in some Purigen into your filter and see if that issue still happens. Perhaps there is something in your current tank water that reacts with what is being given in a standard water change. dunno

No no, I don't mean Edmonton city water is so polluted. I use a dechlorinator and let the water age before it goes in the tank. I mean that the bacteria already in my tank take off every time I add new water.

I am wondering if there may be high phosphates in your tank and that maybe your water has high iron. From what you describe, it sounds more like something is precipitating out then eventually re-dissolving.

Interesting. I use Edmonton city water, and the Big Al's brand of water conditioner. I'm fertilizing using the PPS Pro method, but this was happening way before I started to fertilize.

try this...buy a jug of RO/distilled etc water from the store...put it in...only half. and see what happens...next add the water conditioner with the 2nd half of that bought water and see what happens.

try to start ruling out things