Brand New To The Hobby: Greetings!

BrendaJ

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the hobby and am in the process of setting up my first tank. For the past 30 odd years, I have had just about all of the warm-blooded pets one can have, and am excited to try something so foreign to me. Growing up, we had fish tanks, but I was never involved in the process, so although I'm a bit intimidated right now, I am looking forward to diving in!

I am beginning to understand how obsessed one can get with this hobby. In the last month I've been to several different aquarium stores multiple times checking out fish, plants, etc., and have read all sorts of articles on this forum, and in many other places on the internet. I think about it during the day, when I drift off to sleep and when I wake up in the morning!

So far I have purchased some very nice rocks, laid out my substrate, and am soaking my driftwood. Soon I'll be ready to set up the hardscape and then add some plants. And finally the fish! Can't wait!

BrendaJ

Welcome! Fish require a lot of patience. The most important thing I have learned is if you push too fast, bad things happen. Enjoy the process, it is very rewarding.

Remember there are always casualties in the hobby :( don't let this discourage you. Always do your research, test your water, quarantine your new fish, and aim to under stock your tanks. Never get into the rush of overstocking.

Even when everything is perfect, some fish cannot make it :(

If you are a beginner, start by the sturdiest species. They won't disappoint you and will give you the experience you need :P

Good luck.