Some good news... and some bad news...

nevchewy

I haven't been living at home now for about a week as my soon to be wife are dog and house sitting while my future brother in law and his wife are off at a wedding in winnipeg.

Before i left my tank, i gave it a good cleaning with a 30% water change. Not a problem to report and my saulosi female was still holding. All my father in law had to do was feed the fish and the babies.

He called me yesterday and had good news that my female was spitting her babies as he spoke. I raced over their and caught at least 20 so far and their may be more that she is holding. I was so happy!

So happy that i didn't notice that my other F1 saulosi female was dead in the water. She must have just died in the last couple of days. Her fins were fine and her color was still in tact, but she just layed at the bottom lifeless.

So with my loss I'm left with a pair of F1 saulosi (male and female) and Give or take 20 of their fry.

I have a question for all of you expert breeders out their...

what should i do?

I still plan on getting Kyles F1 Female and male saulosi for new blood lines. Hoping that Kyle's male with be the dominant male and do all or most of the breeding.

Would it be okay to raise the 20 fry and keep some of the females in the breeding group or would it be a bad idea having some of the females with their papa?

Any suggestions on my situation?

Also...

My 60 gallon tank has not been setup yet as i have not been at home to get the job done... But i hope to get it up and going soon to have a species tank of saulosi.

Thanks in advance!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Nev - also keep in mind that genes can be funny in the respect that introducing new blood to a line doesn't always guarantee that you will see an improvement in your stock. Sometimes it can have the opposite affect, by introducing unwanted alleles. There's really no way in knowing the strength of a breeding, until you've followed the line for several generations.

Personally I would keep all of the female fry, and both males, and see how things go. If Kyle's male has better markings, color, etc, then I would pull your current male & let his do the breeding. Your current male could be kept in a smaller tank as emergency back up.

Edited by RD.

Keep them all, and breed the best. Neil has a good point there. The females bred back to the male should produce some better quality fry (not necessarily, but should), and those fry could then be bred back to Kyle's male.

I suggest you do some research on line breeding, read up a bit, and ask questions to clarify anything you are unsure on. You will have a much better clue of the route you want to take after doing that. :)

Thanks everyone!

I cannot wait to get kyles F1 Pair! Kyle described the male to be very nice!

And here is my guy:

tn_Pseu%20Saulosi%20Male%20Taiwan%20Reef.jpg

You can see in my avatar that the the 3 bars are a lot more defined and he gets a very nice black mask and belly when he wants to mate. A very nice fish still but i doubt he'll be as nice as kyle's!

I'll do a bit more reading on line breeding dunl, and i'll definetly post more questions if something doesn't quite make sense.

Thanks RD... I will probably use kyles male and leave my current male in the 90 gallon tank with out any females.

I'll keep you all posted to let you know how it goes!

nev

Kyle mentioned to me that the WC saulosi spawned the F1 pair and he brought them home from his trip to Africa. I think they will be the best possible fry available around these parts.

The only concern i have though... is kyle's pair have never mated... I just hope the conditions weren't right, and not a problem with the male.

we'll see though!

nev

RD - I'm sending you my order for some growth formula this morning...

No worries about mine not mating, the female has been carrying for two weeks now. And in all honesty, I'd have to call your male poor quality when compared to mine. The bars on yours are just too weak (and not really enough of them either) for it to be high quality male.

Mine looks very similar to this one,

Pse_saulosi_02.jpg, but has more black in the dorsal and better looking bars (at least IMO).

PM sent about the holding female...

B)

Thanks again for selling them to me Kyle, and I hope you would save the fry for me too!

Once i get my 60 gallon tanks setup... we work out the shipping details!

nev

Edited by nevchewy