Are The Led Lights From Aquatraders.com

cainechow

Are these LEDs any good for plants or are they just bright?

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Freshwater-Bright-12-p/56201.htm

6500K colour, but only .06W? This doesn't necessarily mean no good but I am leaning to just for lighting and not for growing. Anyone have any experience with them?

I know one can go sunblaster for cheap, but options are good right?

Are these LEDs any good for plants or are they just bright?

http://www.aquatrade...-12-p/56201.htm

6500K colour, but only .06W? This doesn't necessarily mean no good but I am leaning to just for lighting and not for growing. Anyone have any experience with them?

I know one can go sunblaster for cheap, but options are good right?

I did a lot of research recently and I found that for freshwater planted tanks LED's are supplemental only as the technology getting the right spectrum has not been perfected at 6500K

It requires coatings (likely phosphorus based) on the LED to make the spectrum and that is not easy. It looks like the minimum is a 3 watt LED and many of them, creating a heat problem that requires a fan.

I believe we are 3 - 5 years away from reliable LED for the planted tank.

John

Edited by geleen

I purchased one recently. It really seemed to me that after one day it dimmed down significantly. I don't own any kind of light meter, but day one looks very bright and lit up well all the way to the bottoms of the tank; however, the next day it looked quite a bit dimmer. It is now in the cupboard and replaced w 2 SunblasterT5s.

not sure if economical but I'll throw this idea out there. If this unit is sleek looks decent etc but just the led's are poor...perhaps buy those other cree etc and throw them in this unit.

dunno if the volts/watts would match up tho.