Moss Balls

Koilady

Does anyone have these? I have seen them online a few times and think they look pretty cool. I found some at Petsmart in the US when i was there and bought 2 of them. They are in my Cichlid tank and seem to be doing ok. Any tips or pointers to keep them healthy?

Thanks everyone! They are cool..i like different stuff so they appeal to me for sure. They seem to get moved by the fish so not sure they will get a brown bottom. Apparently they can get quite big. Mine are about 2" across right now, i just hope they get enough light. My tank is bright but it's doesn't have lighting that is geared toward plant growth..guess time will tell.

Thanks everyone! They are cool..i like different stuff so they appeal to me for sure. They seem to get moved by the fish so not sure they will get a brown bottom. Apparently they can get quite big. Mine are about 2" across right now, i just hope they get enough light. My tank is bright but it's doesn't have lighting that is geared toward plant growth..guess time will tell.

Mine is probably 2.5-3 inches right now. I don't think they need much light in order to do well though, they just won't grow as quickly in low light conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had about 5 of these I love the look of them but as others have said they collect alot of debris and they are very fragile once they get any tear or anything they just start falling apart. I have 2 of these right now both about 3" diameter but I was cleaning my tank yesterday and one started to fall apart :( very slow growing

I had some when I was younger - I got them from a local lake, they were a bit different in appearance. They only grew about 2" round max, they grew pretty fast - but they only live about 6-8 months before dieing. I assume the wild ones in canada need a dormant period like most of our perennial plants that are adapted to winter.

I had some when I was younger - I got them from a local lake, they were a bit different in appearance. They only grew about 2" round max, they grew pretty fast - but they only live about 6-8 months before dieing. I assume the wild ones in canada need a dormant period like most of our perennial plants that are adapted to winter.

Probably prefer cooler temps too