Noisiest Air Stone Ever!

creekbottom

So it's pretty late as I'm posting this. I have a planted tank in my bedroom, it's about 5 ft. away from my bed. Everything in the tank is SILENT - HOB filter, powerhead... nothing makes noise.

I have a DIY CO2 bottle hooked up to an air stone in the tank. In the last two days the stone has started to make noise. There are always bubbles coming out of it but at random intervals it makes noise. Kinda sounds like a drumroll heard from far away and through a pillow. Not really... loud, but excruciatingly annoying. Especially when it's sleepy time.

I've shaken the bottle to get more gas moving through the stone to see if that will 'shake things up a bit' nope. I have yet to reach in the tank and adjust the stone in the airline. My experience is that once an airstone has been shoved in the line, the only adjustment that happens after is replacing a broken airstone and cutting out the fitting from the line.

I should be tired enough now that I could sleep through a marching band, I hope the airstone can keep time.

DIY CO2 is often accompanied by a bacterial build up bc of the residual sugar feeding thru the line. I am guessing that some extra growth is causing some blockage of the airstone, making a noise. I often recommend not using an airstone on DIY CO2 for that very reason.

Just get a small powerhead and feed the CO2 into the intake of it, and have the powerhead plugged into the same timer as your lights.