Best Way To Do Large Water Changes In Edmonton?

hustler

I have been doing 10-20% water changes every second day since coming back to fresh from salt as the tank is up and running but hasnt had time to settle just yet with the stocklist changing.

Im doing stability and prime daily and keeping a close eye on the paramiters....

I have my old auto top off dual carbon block filter for clhorine and clhorimine but this still keeps the ammonia thats left to add to my tank so Ive been reluctant in getting that going again just yet...

I also have a full RO/DI unit ive been adding a few pails here and there but it freaks me out in the event of a PH crash so i try to avoid it....

Ive been doing it the old fastioned way with the python and dumping in the prime but with all the other units i have..... there must be a way to make this work???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Im doing this on my 300 and 180 gallon that are plumbed together so its a fair bit of water..... and jugs of chemicals

I dont know if it works long term, but zeolite is supposed to remove ammonia; could you add that in line with your carbon filter?

Ohh i sure could... I have 2 empty 2 gallon reactors still plumbed in from the reef :) i just didnt want to starve the bactiera thats trying to stabalize.... but saftey first always pans out

If you're going to be using it long term, try to find the zeolite at a chemical supply store or a pool supply store instead of the LFS - it'll be much cheaper that way.

ummm call me crazy but perhaps an easier or safer non chemical IE: more natural approach could be... and i'm just thinking out loud here bro.... but why not "seed" your filtre with colonised portions donated to you form friends and members ?? I'd be willing to bring you some from my big bad boy tank filtres. just an idea cuz when i set up my monster tanks I just split the filtre from a running set up and voila just add fish .. works every time and it doesnt take as much as you'd think and then do an initial a 50% during the week if you already have fish in it and no probs. works for my stocking list and havent lost anybody ever.