Cat Fish

jamesbarr

hey,

I have a 40 gal with a AC50 and AC20 on it. I have 3 long fin albino plecos (once they get bigger Ill be donating 2 of them elsewhere) 5 spotted Danios, 2 white cloud minnows (survivors from a previous setup), and 2 tequila guppies.

I have a real affinity for bottom dwellers and want to get some catfish. Im going to relocate the guppies (i dont like them lol) and buy a few more minnows to take care of the top of my tank, and maybe a couple gouramis or something for the middle of the tank.

So, dont know much about cats tho.

Any advice for a beginner? What kind should I go for with my size of tank?

Thanks

hey,

I have a 40 gal with a AC50 and AC20 on it. I have 3 long fin albino plecos (once they get bigger Ill be donating 2 of them elsewhere) 5 spotted Danios, 2 white cloud minnows (survivors from a previous setup), and 2 tequila guppies.

I have a real affinity for bottom dwellers and want to get some catfish. Im going to relocate the guppies (i dont like them lol) and buy a few more minnows to take care of the top of my tank, and maybe a couple gouramis or something for the middle of the tank.

So, dont know much about cats tho.

Any advice for a beginner? What kind should I go for with my size of tank?

Thanks

Bronze Cory's! A large school would look great. Or Paleatus Corys.

I think that I will have to look at that for sure. I was thinking more along the traditional looking catfish. long bodied, whiskers and so on. Have I got the wrong name?

Like this http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/373395-3231-17.jpg

no so much like this

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_aug2009/CatFishA.jpg

Synodontis petricola or lucipinis are nice little cats that love to be in groups and tend to be more active than other smaller cats.

Many Synos get pretty big, but S. petricola/lucipinis stay under the 4" mark and will do well in most tanks. As long as you're not changing your water chemistry, as treated tap water is perfect for them.