Anyone Try An Aquaripure Filter?

Boom

The Aquaripure filters claim to eliminate nitrates down to zero with no water changes. I'm curious if this is a marketing gimick or a really great product. I have watched the videos on their website and read their customer testimonials. I was hoping to have some first hand input from somebody on here to see if they really work the way claimed. Anybody have one? Does it really do what it claims?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Boom :boom:

I'm thinking any biological filter is capable of keeping nitrates at zero - it all depends on the bio load. I will check out the videos after I finish my water changes ;)

Don't have but would like to comment.

http://aquaripure.com/products.htm

Waste of money imo. That guys states on one of his vids that his filter "removes different sizes of organic particles and microfauna". The act of removing different sizes of organic particles can be achieved with any water filter.

"It works very slow, controled..." imo, that means more or less the rate of an ro output. (updated just below) If you want to achieve the same low flow effect, pack your canister full of media as what this is...stacked full with media.

He does say how slow it actually is. Between 1-6 drops a second depending on tank size. Yip, that is slow. So i'd have to pay $239 US for two drop a second filter ! ouch.

"Everthing that enters the media will be completely broken down by the bacteria" Sure, if the flow is slow enough I can possibly see this.. However this isn't the point. The point is getting ALL the mulm/detritus/poop from the aquarium floor into this filters intake for this to happen. Will a couple drops a second remove be able to keep up with all the mulm/detritus/poop - nitrate!

As someone who has planted tanks, I do not want zero nitrates. I want that to be food for the plants. As we all know it's recommended to have a measurable (low) nitrate level for a planted tank.

When does this filter know it's removing too much nitrate? I now have a filter that I paid good $ for, which I have to compete against to make sure my plants have enough food. UG

If someone really needs to have zero nitrates and are that concerned do tried and true basic aquarium maintenance...save your own hard earned $.

I'm sure some will agree/some will not.

There are many ways to get rid of nitrate w/o WCs - SW people use many of them. Denitrification requires anaerobic environments - can be found deep in Live Rock, Deep Sand Beds, denitrators.

Kind of what I suspected. Other than the fact that this filter has a vent at the top to release the gasses that this guy says are given off by the breaking down of nitrates by the plethora of micro organisms in his filer, how is the filter any different from a regular cannister filter? If my cannister filter is big enough, and as you say, stacked full with enough bio media, than am I not achieving the same thing? Or does his proprietary media that contains these micro organisms contain stuff that won't grow in my filter without adding it? And then why not just buy his bottle of micro organisms?

Boom :boom:

Apparently, this filter is set up to provide both an aerobic environment for nitrifying bacteria, and an anaerobic environment for denitrifying bacteria. If that is the case (and would have to be if you're adding alcohol regularly), then it would seem to be a convenient set up, IMO. Otherwise, if you want to get rid of nitrates w/O doing WCs, you'd have to set up, or create a separate denitrator (ie. a deep sand bed in a sump, or a separate piece of equipment)

It definitely could work. The principle is sound, so all it would take is proper mechanics.

Try looking up reviews on other forums like MFK where people who've used it will post positive and negative reviews.

I've read a few DIY denitrator designs that required alcohol to get it started, but not every week. I'm not sure why this system would require constant food for the bacteria. Maybe it's just too efficient?

So Jason, are you saying that this filter might actually work as claimed?

I would think that it does. It is well known that such a filter at a very low flow rate (anaerobic bacteria ) and these bacteria are fed with alcohol on a regular basis does denitrate. And one does not have to do a water change for nitrates.

There is still the dissolved solids, and these will will build over time, and should be measured.

J

It definitely could work. The principle is sound, so all it would take is proper mechanics.

Try looking up reviews on other forums like MFK where people who've used it will post positive and negative reviews.

I've read a few DIY denitrator designs that required alcohol to get it started, but not every week. I'm not sure why this system would require constant food for the bacteria. Maybe it's just too efficient?

MKF stands for?

Thanks

I'm thinking maybe if you had a large tank it's useful or a battery of tanks all joined together .You could buy one half the size of your tank setup and run it I wouldn't want zero nitrates anyways.I want plants.Couldn't you open the valve for faster flow?

Edited by Eugene

I Have read that they do work, and as Jason said, they need anerobic bacteria to work. They do need to be setup and cycled just like a regular filter, the only difference is different bacteria. So it would be slow, like doing a fish less cycle without any help from an established tank.