Should I be Concerned...

nevchewy

After she spit her fry and now that i have released her back into the tank, she has quit eating.

Since i just lost my other female saulosi, not know what really happened... should i be concerned with my other female?

is it normal to quite eating all together?

she doesn't appear to be skinny, but she has no interest in food...

i'm probably just being paranoid... but if i loose her, i don't know what i'll do.

should i get her in her own 10 gallon tank for a bit?

any suggestions?

nev

Did you try to strip her??

She may still be holding some babies.

I find that after I strip my females, they take about a day to recover and be back to normal, But I usually strip at the 14 day mark so my females dont' get too thin.

Did you remove her from the main tank and recently put her back??

It has been a couple of days now, and she is still not eating.

I have removed her from the main tank into her own 10 gallon tank.

i tried putting some food in for her and she still has no interest in it at all.

I can say for sure she is not holding as i can see into her mouth... its empty!

i'll keep you posted!

let me know how your situation pans out vantgE.

nev

If you are concerned then putting her in her own 10g is a good idea. Do lots of water changes and keep the water quality good. It could be that she was jsut to weak from not eating while she was holding to fight for food in the main tank.

I always feed my females for a day or 2 before putting them back in the main tank. Helps them get their energy back to defend themselves

Well i was right to be concerned!

:cry:

she passed on tonight... all of my other fish are fine but for some reason my 2 females kicked the bucket.

i could cry tonight!

looks like i'll have to grow out the 20 fry i have from her to get more females.

I guess i let her back into the tank too early. :bang1:

nev

If losing 2 fish and getting 20 to replace them is the worst thing that happens to you in this hobby then you are darn good or darn lucky. A lot of strange things can and will happen the important thing is to learn from them. I recently lost a whole tank and I learned not to go camping on Aug. long.(last year I lost my Frontosas). It sucks to lose your breeding stock but if it was easy you would've lost interest by now. Remember there are a lot of species out there left to explore and you've already had success breeding . Keep your stick on the ice and your prop in the water and boldly take on new challenges because there are more rewards and unfortunately dissappointments coming up. Good luck ,Ryan.

Thanks Ryan!

I read your post! That sucks the big one with what happened to you!

Discouraged... yes.

quitting... heck no!

I'm not out of the game yet as Kyle (african_fever) breeding pair that he is selling me may come with some fry too! This is if his female holds to term.

So it will be a while before i have saulosi available for the people that have been looking for them. It will just take more time.

For now i have decided to start up my 60 gallon tank and just make it a species tank full of saulosi and not add polit's like I had planned.

I hope to have it setup before next week!

nev