total devastation

RDFISHGUY

I just checked the test kits and they don't expire until 07/31/2008. I don't know if they are any good they were the only ones available at Petland at the time of purchase. They are Nutrifin. I used them to test my 33 about 2 months ago and they gave me good readings . I don't test often because its a pain in the #@# and if it isn't broken don't fix it. There is some weird algae growing on it though. Its not your average green stuff its more of a brown color if anyone can tie that in. I've never seen it before. It may be from the Coralife lights that I'm using . Thanks for all your suggestions .I think I'll go get a case of beer and try to drown my sorrows.

Ryan ....... Sounds like a toxin to me. An ammonia spike will cause fish to gasp for air at the surface, and I would say you can rule that out considering the water treatment that I know you use. (ClorAm-X) Have there been any type of water main repairs or system flushes in your end of town during this period? I've had no problems at this end of the city, with 50% water changes.

Wow funny how a fifteen pack can turn into a 30 pack when you work out of town.I just got home and the last fish is still alive and kicking (no longer gasping for air). I never really cycled the tank because I used half the water out of my 150 gal. and the first Rena XP3 came off that tank as well.The rocks also came out of that tank so the only thing left is the sand and if that was a problem I'm a monkeys uncle. As for water main issues its entirly possible seens how they're ripping Gaetze Ave apart but no warnings were put up.I think I'll just chalk up another one to the August long demons because it was the same weekend last year I lost my Kigoma frontosa to a similar fate. I guess next year I'll have to stay home.

There wouldn't be any warning signs put up, but considering that your other tanks were fine after doing a water change on the same day, I doubt it was a tap water issue. I'm afraid this may remain an enigma.