total devastation

RDFISHGUY

I went camping on the weekend and came home to a tank full of dead fish . Nitrates spiked and I lost the works. 1otopharynx heterodon 1 taiwon reef 4 moori 4myl. mchuse 4 buccochromis rhoadesi 3rostratus. Sole survivors 1 female rostratus 2 plecos. Oh well, guess I just got a nice big grow out tank

Sorry to hear that Ryan. I lost 10 really nice yellow labs I got from Don Gross at the beginning of the year due to a heater spike/filter shutdown scenario.....sucks bigtime.

Oh man, I am sorry that really sucks.

I also would like to know what caused the spike, that is if you know?? The water prem's have been really wacko around here lately.

I hope nothing that cannot be fixed,

Good luck Ryan.

Tom.

Edited by tc51

I have no idea if even was a nitrate or nitrite spike . I tested everything this morning because the one fish that remains was at the top gasping for air . I just assumed it was nitrates because I just added a second filter and I expected maybe to see some fluctuation. All tests (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and Ph ) came back OK so I am totally baffled . I still think its a water quality problem because a gill disease or parasite wouldn't kill them that fast. The only test that was a little low was the Ph test and it was the same as the other 3 tanks so that is out. All other tests came back as 0. The other 3 tanks also got a water change before we left and they're OK so I don't think its the tap water. I'm terribly frustrated at this point because I can't find the problem and therefore I can't change it . I've done 2 water changes since I got home last night and conditions aren't improving. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My sister in-law was here to scoop out the dead so there wasn't much chance for a major build up. The only thing i can think of is that I had tape goop on the tank so I sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and rubbed off the goop. The first fish however died before I left and before the brake cleaner was used. I was careful not to get any in the tank. I'm not convinced that 's what caused this mass exodus though I haven't ruled it out.

Media was rinsed,and all feeding was stopped when fish started dying . This one is a real mystery. There's usually an easy answer to these problems. Water changes aren't making it any better and the remaining fish is still sucking for air. Electrical connections are good so I don't know what the cause is .

Sorry about your loss.

Just wondering, how long has your tank been up and running? How old are your test kits, is it possible they may have expired? What kind airation do you have in your tank (airstone..etc.)?

Before the weekend were you doing any aquascaping where you possibly could have stired up an ammonia pocket in the substrate or by moving a rock?

HTH,

Amy

The tank has been running for a month and I don't use air stones . I do have 2 powerheads and 2 Rena XP3 filters on it . Its a 100 Gal tank. I have been doing large scale water changes. I'll check to see if the kits have expired but I've only had them 6 mos.