100 gal contest????

RDFISHGUY

Since I lost all of my fish from my 100 Gal and I already have the parents of most of my fry I need to restock that tank with something different .I currently have a 150 gal with 1m 1f taiwon reef , 1m 1f cop. azureus, 1m 1f phenochilus, 1m 1f red empress, 1m 1f ot. heterodon so it has to be something other than these guys. The person who picks the inhabitants to re-establish this tank that I find most favorable gets to come with me to Calgary to pick up the fish with a significant other and go to Red Lobster for supper. Game on!

Just so you know I'm only into Malawi cichlids and would like to go to Calgary on Saturday so I'll make my choice by Thursday unless I get called to go to work in which case it would be my next days off. Sorry its a little vague.

No, I've kept Mbuna in the past. I'm open to just about anything. A new chapter in the Malawi saga is what I'm looking for. I think I've probably kept about 1/100 of the species discovered in the 80's and a lot has changed since then . They are always finding new species and morphs that's why I'm into Africans. Sorry , Lake Malawi cichlids.

If this is a six-foot tank then what I would do is go to Golds and pick up some albino Dimidiochromis compressiceps then look around to see what would make suitable tankmates. I know spontaneous purchases aren't alway the best, but it's kind of hard to plan a tank w/o knowing what exactly is available.

They have some albino peacocks, which I think are jacobfreibergi. That would be a unique tank.

The tank is 18"x18"x72" It is a 100 Gal long. I've never been a big fan of albino fish. For some reason its like a defective gene to me.I like the bright colors.

Wow. Went to Drumheller for a few days, and expected to come back and find this post full....

1) Ever try tropheus? Good tank to try them in, size-wise.

2) Ps. acei and M. estherae

3) Labidochromis hongi and M. msobo

4) Labidochromis careulus and some C. afra type

5) Sc. fryeri, Aulonocara baenschi , and N. venustus (too big for a tabk this size really, but it takes a long while for them to grow so they could be there a while...)

I could go on and on....

FYI - the 'footprint' of this tank is the same as a 125 gallon. (18x72)

Venustus would be no problem. I know what I'd do with it, but I'm not sure if you'd be too keen on it, Ryan.

C. moorii & L. caeruleus .... great color combo, and a fairly low aggression set up.

Edited by RD.

Great suggestions guys but because nobody really gave me a response that I liked by Thurs I went and dumped my fry in that tank. But because you are both so close to what I was going to keep I'll treat you to lunch on Sunday if that works.My decision is that I'm going keep some baeschi ,heterodon,moori,and taiwon reef. Not sure how i'm going to stock yet. I'd like to move my heterodons and reefs to the 100 from the 150 and add yellow labs to that tank. So the 150 would end up with cp. azureus(1m,1f) phenochilus (1m,1f) and taeniolatus red emp.(1m,1f)and I think I can probably find some yellow labs to go in there as well. The 100 would be as above. The trouble is the baeschi that I have now are too small to go with my taiwon reefs and heterodon. Once I get rid of all my other fry I'll have room in my 33 to raise the baenschi but I don't want to add the peacocks last because they'd get picked on. I may have to trade my fry in on some larger baenschi and moori. Dilemma. We should discuss it over a steak and a beer on Sunday.

Thanks , Rahim but I already have some fish that need to be moved and I think this is probably the cheapest way for me to go. By the way I love the champsochromis caruleus, and I don't think Golds website has been updated in months I'm not sure why its on my favorites list. Cichlid forum and malawi mayhem are great sites for picks though aren't they?

Hey Ryan, thanks for the generous offer, but no need to buy me lunch! ;)

If you'll be around in the AM on Sunday give me a shout & I'll gladly come over & have a look at what you currently have to work with. The rest of Sunday is already a write off due to family commitments.

I'll be around Sunday am. If you let me know what time I'll have the breakfast ready. Anyone else that you know might be interested let me know the wife's out of town so we can have a fishgeek party.