Metricide And Fish Deaths

FishTankBoy

Hi everyone. I started dosing metricide 28 (excel subsitute) on my tank. Since I started dosing it (using an automatic doser), I am finding dead fish each day. I am overdosing according to excel instructions, but have scaled the dosage down accordingly.

Anyone experience this before?

I think he is out to get me. :(

90 gallon high tech tank (pressurized co2 at 30ppm on 2 hours before lights on, 1 hour before lights off).

Estimative Index dosing (should have stuck with PMDD when I had absolutely zero bba of any kind). Solution was made so that I can dose on a daily basis instead of 3 times a week.

50% water changes each week

1 x Eheim Pro 3e and 1 x Rena XP3 (lots of circulation)

All dosing is through a Bubble Magus auto doser

Macros - 35ML

Micros (with Seachem Iron mixed into it) - 20ML

Metricide (straight dosing) - 8ML (now reduced to 4ML)

Haha your right on the water changes. I'm developing my basement so all the buckets are manually lifted from the bathtub on the third floor all the way to the basement.

I am dosing it because I saw that one third here on AA a couple of weeks ago and thought that I could kill this BBA off before it takes over my tank.

I am so bad at math. Somewhere I thought that I was suppose to overdose for the first week and then go dial it down. I guess I should be at 4ML each day?

Thanks for the help. I'm assuming that they are hanging around the dosing area. Also, it was low flow. I've re-directed my canister outlet to blow the water away. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I didn't want to spot treat as I didn't want to touch the metricide. If I continued dosing through the auto doser, will the BBA all die off? It is pretty much everywhere now. All over my carpet and driftwood.

And yes, I did throw the activator away.

Get a syringe an spot treat the BBA - you can use less Metricide and it'll be a lot more effective.

I was hoping not to as it got into everything. all my foreground carpet, the driftwood and all the slow growing plants. It would take forever to syringe it.

I really think that the fish are dying because of the metricide. I am still getting 2 or 3 dead fish a day. I never had any dead fish in my tank for months until I started dosing metricide. Very strange.

YIKES!!!! Metricide 28 contains a surfactant. So stupid, why didn't I read the label. I should have just waited and bought the Metricide 14. We'll this is going in the trash right now.

EDIT: Taking to the fire department for proper disposal.

Edited by FishTankBoy