Need Help On Substrate Mixture

Reytube

I've grown most aquatic plants in playsand and other inert substrates that can be purchased from Home Depot and sandblasting suppliers for a fraction of expensive specialty substrates.

I have a journal thread of my planted 120gal, and it's just a mix of playsand and black sand. 5" depth cost about $50; if I just went with playsand, it would have cost about 1/2 that much.

Just want to have the best healthy results. I dont care how much would cost

ADA aqua soil is the best substrate you can use. You would have to go to Calgary to get it though. Its pricey but nothing compares.

I just used plain black sand - most ferts go into the water, or perhaps the addition of tablets for the heavy feeders like swords. I just added 1 tab for the sword every 2 months, Flourish excel every 3 days, and a tank of CO2 set at 2 bubbles per 3 seconds.

This is the setup:

plantedJuly2010.jpg

Edited by Crystal

• 1 month later...

I've grown most aquatic plants in playsand and other inert substrates that can be purchased from Home Depot and sandblasting suppliers for a fraction of expensive specialty substrates.

I have a journal thread of my planted 120gal, and it's just a mix of playsand and black sand. 5" depth cost about $50; if I just went with playsand, it would have cost about 1/2 that much.

where is the cheapest place to buy the black sand?

The only stuff that I've seen that is safe for all fish is at the LFS. If you don't have catfish or fish that sift sand thru their gills, then you can get copper slag from sand blasting suppliers like Sil Industries or Manus Abrasives.

(null)

What are you after? Pool filter sand is a tan colour and pretty clean from the bag. Plus it would cost around $30 for your whole tank. It's fairly light and doesn't compact too much.

I second ADA being the best. If you are even half decent and growing plants ADA will more than pull its weight. I also use flourite, but it's inert. Hold nutrients well after some time though, just doesn't come with any.

One of our tanks at work has the ExoTerra sand. It seems to be OK - we've had it in there for 4 yrs or so.

(null)

I just used plain black sand - most ferts go into the water, or perhaps the addition of tablets for the heavy feeders like swords. I just added 1 tab for the sword every 2 months, Flourish excel every 3 days, and a tank of CO2 set at 2 bubbles per 3 seconds.

This is the setup:

plantedJuly2010.jpg

Gorgeous!