Why Do My Fish Not Listen To Me?

fishclubgirl

Betta Mistress...muhahahahaha (meant as a compliment of course) ;)

Umm no.... I'm the betta "goddess"...and Jamesbarr, I have about 150 betta splendens and if you count my mahachai fry, about 100 or more wild bettas.

So I have a betta pair in the spawn tank, no nest. So I've swapped out the male and hopefully this male gets it. Wild bettas in spawn tank, nothing. BN pairs together for a year, bred once, now nothing. Blue angel pair, you guessed it, nothing. Old pair of angelfish who are a mix of koi and standard who've bred many times, if you guessed nothing, you're wrong. Yes, the fish I don't want to breed, did and I've pulled the eggs. So now, I put together some calico BNs and will keep an eye on my mouthbrooding bettas but knowing my luck, nothing... In the meantime, I keep fishing out molly fry...AARGh.....

I was in Toronto once and bought a GPS system to get around but I was still getting lost until I realized that it was a womans voice[i seem to be conditioned to ignore them] maybe trying to talk to your fish with a deeper voice.

An update; the betta mahachai fry are doing great and there's over 100. Have left mom and dad in there and they spawned again today. I have no spawns from betta splendens, bn plecos or blue angelfish but fished out more molly fry and spotted some girardinus fry in their tank today. AARGh......

Have been trying my luck with the mouthbrooding bettas like the albimarginata and they're all setup in the almond leaf extract, distilled water and getting bloodworms too. So far, he isn't holding.... but I look in b.ocellata species tank and there's fry...... I think I'll just ignore all the fish I want to spawn and concentrate on breeding guppies......

First off, albimarginatas are mouthbrooders and don't need the heat. Easiest way to breed them is to put a bunch in an unheated tank with lots of cover and plants. Look for males who are "holding" and put them into a breeding net with lots of plants. Or just leave them alone and look for fry along the surface. Imbellis breed like splendens and will build nests,etc. Best to put them into a separate breeding tank.

I just bred some imbellis(I think) and he's got a nice nest but it's quite interesting. He managed to build it under a submersed plastic plant leaf. There's definitely eggs in there too. I used the same setup I use for b. splendens(that doesn't seem to work for me......) except I put them in together right away. And SuperGuppyGirl, if you get another tank and your husband divorces you, think of all the time you'll have to do waterchanges and aquascaping...

Edited by fishclubgirl

Hahahaha I actually got around it, I bought a fish bowl used it as a vase for some flowers with some handy decorative gravel I had leftover from before I had sand, then after the flowers died I cleaned it out and left the rocks in it putting on the counter next to the B. Splendens and came home the other day to find a betta splenden female in it LOL! One of the guys at his work was actually taking it around to different camps with him, travelling with it in a cup, setting up its 3 gallon tank at every hotel since he didn't want to leave it with anyone but I guess the tank cracked as he was packing it and he got tired off dragging it around so hubby took it off his hands, does make me shake my head at some folks but my new girl has been the most well travelled albertan betta :eh:

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

• 2 weeks later...

That was an interesting read...I have a lot to learn about bettas.