New Custom Made Aquarium Stand By Boom

Boom

I may have mentioned in the past that one of my other hobbies is custom woodworking. You can see some more of my work by clicking the link in my signature.

For fish keeping, I specifically keep two species of African cichlids.Cyphotilapia Gibberosa (Frontosa) from the Mpimbwe region of lake Tanganyika in a 180 gallon tank, and in this new 75 gallon tank I keep Tropheus Moorii red from the Kachese region of the same lake.

I build this stand and designed it with several key features. First and foremost, it has to be strong. A 75 gallon tank filled with sand and water weighs almost 800 pounds. The substructure is made of 2x6 fir vertical posts and 3 layers of 1/2" baltic birch plywood to make the cross beams. I used 5/8" dark cherry melamine to face the structure, and then solid Peruvian walnut to edge the melamine, add trim, and make solid frame doors.

I decided to try some power carving on this project as previously suggested to me by Canadian Woodworking magazine editor, Rob Brown. (I have now had my work published in the magazine on two occasions). I wanted a simple design that reflects the waves of water as well as the shapes of fish, depending on your interpretation. The power carving was easily done with 60 grit paper on my random orbit sander. The Peruvian walnut is quite soft, so it went quickly. The trim is not thick so I didn't have to remove much material. I ensured that the lines carried over from the doors to the trim of the stand.

You will notice the 3D background that I previously posted that I had some trouble installing. After figuring out the silicone issue, it went in fine and looks great. I have a half dozen Synodontis petricola in this tank as well as some Java Fern and Anubias.

Thanks for looking and as always, I look forward to your comments, critique, and questions!
1biggrin.gif

post-3022-0-95923700-1339349806_thumb.jpg

post-3022-0-84278900-1339349817_thumb.jpg

post-3022-0-07035300-1339349842_thumb.jpg

post-3022-0-51765200-1339349855_thumb.jpg

post-3022-0-42208100-1339349871_thumb.jpg

post-3022-0-23556200-1339349949_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate the comments. I love showing my work to you guys as your are always so kind with the comments.

Blake, a matching canopy is still to come! :D

Boom :boom:

It looks great ! Even better with a canopy. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the doors. I think it would've been better if you carried the walnut right through or used a different type of wood in-lay in the cabinet doors instead of the glass. Still an awesome piece that anyone would be proud to put in their home. Its better than anything I've ever built. I really like the shelves on the sides. Great place to store fish food or ornaments and easy to get to the stuff at the back of the shelf with this design. Carving is uniquely awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...