Help! Betta Eggs?

mharding4

Alright. So I got a few nice males from Bettafishgirl about a month ago. Thought it would be fun to try breeding them. Did some research and introduced a male and female as recommended. I have had them together in the 10 gallon for about 2 weeks or so and I was about the shut the tank down today because I didnt think the male was going to do his job. As I start pulling out the fake plants it lifts up the leaf that I had floating in the water for the male betta to make a nest in. Unfortunately as I disturbed the nest I noticed a whole bunch of white eggs in the bubbles!!!!!! I was shocked that they actually both did their job!!! tongue2.gif I gently set the leaf back down.. sad that I disturbed the nest but I removed the female who was showing signs of being beat up, which the male was not doing before. SO! My question is now that I have a successful nest.......what do i do? I have a heater in the water but it is at 73 Degrees. I dont think the heater is working properly. I do not have an air stone in it, should I? I just have the male betta in the 10 Gallon and I have no idea how long the eggs have been there for! Any recommendations would help as to what my next steps should be! I will start to grow a culture of brine shrimp now (I do know about the swim bladder with them so I will be aware of this).

THANKYOU!!!!

Arg ,I was typing a long reply but deleted it.

Temp should be around 80 degrees.

There should be an air powered sponge filter on a weak bubble

Male will keep eggs/fry in the nest until free swimming. Once they start swimming take him out.

Also it seems like you know very little about spawning bettas. Its quite irresponsible indeed to breed without knowing how to raise the fry properly.

Also it seems like you know very little about spawning bettas. Its quite irresponsible indeed to breed without knowing how to raise the fry properly.

I've never figured things out by making mistakes......

All of us have, and so will she.

I've never figured things out by making mistakes......

All of us have, and so will she.

Thanks Jay :)

agree. you need to get your feet wet to learn how to swim.

so far, sounds great...keep up the good work.

If you can, try to take some pictures! :)

I've never breed them, so any little tips/advice that you find as your going along post @ AA to help others. :)

agree. you need to get your feet wet to learn how to swim.

so far, sounds great...keep up the good work.

If you can, try to take some pictures! :)

I've never breed them, so any little tips/advice that you find as your going along post @ AA to help others. :)

Thanks for the encouragement :) I was pretty excited to find that they actually did what they were supposed to!! I just took a couple pics of the male and his nest. Ill have to post them. Hes such a good daddy so far :)

Eh ,sorry if my posts came across as a bit rude/mean ,I wasn't in the best mood and really need to learn to stay off the internet during those times :P

But ya ,raise up to the temp to about 80 degrees ,fill the babies full of wormies ,and you should have a tank full of blooming bettas in about 1.5 months.

Thanks Polleni. Its all good. I now have sinking betta babies and a culture of microworms and baby brines.. Now my only concern is my ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are through the roof and water changes dont seem to make a difference... grrr. well see how many survive i guess. So Excited!!!

So i heard people recommend cutting a styrofoam cup in half and floating it in the fish tank.. i have done this but i am noticing now that it has started to sink?! Which is pointless. there is no longer any air in it.. i cut it in half horizontally... was I supposed to cut it in half vertically?