I just got some new rocks...

nevchewy

I'm planning on getting my 60 gallon tank up and going this week (pics to follow soon on my DIY post).

We just came back from camping in Nordegg, AB where I found a bunch of nice shale that i brought back...

The shale was found next to a small stream and some was under water.

My question would be...

if boiled and cleanned really well... could it be used in my cichlid tank?

Or would it be best to save for future purposes...?

Any thoughs

thanks in advance!

nev

I think as long as its clean(no pesticides or chemicals) it should be fine. Since its going into a african tank you dont' have to worry if the rocks will buffer or not like you would if it was going into a tank with low PH.

Really scrub and wash them and it should be ok.

Most of my rocks came from streams and such. I do an overnight soak in light salted water. then overnight rinse in fresh then I cook in oven for 1hour at 350 then a final over night rinse of fresh. Over kill?? Never had a fatality from new rocks

Mathew I have 2 questions. After you marinade them in the salt water, do you baste them in the oven or just let them cook in their own juices. Are they golden brown when done and lastly, red or white wine?..... oops sorry that was 3 questions :rolleyes: Seriously slate as long as there is no rusty red brown mixed in should be fine.

Edited by HOSStile