Background Floated Away

MrsFard

Bought a used fluval flora (price was great!).. but the background was detatched. didnt think anything of it... until the sand stopped holding it down... and my plants and everthing shifted as it popped up... I dont want to take everything out and glue it down... I'd have to take the sand out too :( is there anyway to secure it again (maybe even cutting it to just below the sand surface so I dont have to mess with the sand too much) with everyone still in it?

You're pretty much hooped. Honestly, if you try to secure it weakly again you're looking for trouble. Many owners have had their lights and/or lids break as a result of the backgrounds shooting up.

I have an EBI and I secured my background with a few more beads of fish-safe silicone. That will require you emptying it...

Look on the bright side: at least now you have slightly more water capacity in your tank - and that means slightly less work. ;)

You're pretty much hooped. Honestly, if you try to secure it weakly again you're looking for trouble. Many owners have had their lights and/or lids break as a result of the backgrounds shooting up.

I have an EBI and I secured my background with a few more beads of fish-safe silicone. That will require you emptying it...

Look on the bright side: at least now you have slightly more water capacity in your tank - and that means slightly less work. ;)

Ill be honest. I dont really like your response. :) I have black arcrylic canvas paint. maybe that will have to due until I get ambitious enough to redo the tank.

Is there a lip at the bottom of the background? If so, you could try attaching some rocks to the lip to hold it down. Could try attaching some slate to the back of the background to give the body of it more stability.

Aside from that, taking it down as The_Little_One suggested is the only solution I can think of.

I have a fluval shrimp tank.. same thing happened to me. I wrote them back and they sent me a new background... (my old one started to disintegrate and my crab was EATING IT!) ... I had to shut it down :( I made sure to use a whole bottle of sylicone on it this time.... better hold!

I have always had the black backgrounds you buy... it didn't even cross my mind that it would do that (duh!). but I liked the look of it and I DONT want to disturb everything again :( I wonder about the slate thing- but then, I would lose even more water volume :( unless I took the water level REALLy low, and dried and siliconed most of the background back...? but then my poor plants and trying to push that sand out of the way.... and I would have to buy silicone.

Try some plastic sticks with a weight attached to the bottom of it and somehow secure the sticks to the background? It would take up less space than a piece of slate.

Honestly the only good way I can think of is draining the tank and gluing the background back in with aquarium silicone. Anything that can shift or move and release the background is just asking for trouble IMO.

Might as well just do it the right way, it's only 8 gallons anyways! Get a 5 gallon bucket, put a filter/heater in it, toss the Flora's inhabitants in; drain the tank; silicone the background on; wait 24 hours; fill 'er back up and re-aquascape. Just think of it as an extended water change.