Algae Bloom & Algae Control

Gman44

eh guys...thanks for all the great advice.

now how about adding a UV light device...would that kill my plants, starve them out?

I am a big fan of UV. Just make sure you get a big enough unit and that your pump is matched for the size of the uv as flow rate is very important. There is all kinds of good info on the web. I run a 55 watt on my 350 gal tank. I have about 300 lbs of texas holey rock and it had ugly looking algae on it within 2 weeks....what a pain to scrub it up every 2 weeks. The uv and purigen have done the trick it has been 8 months since I have scrubbed and the rock is still snow white, If you get a larger unit and have the right flow it can even kill ich. It changes the dna of cells but only harms by exposure which takes place inside the uv chamber so it is harmless to the inhabitants of your tank and will not alter your water. My led lights had a lot to do with my algae problem but you have the sun to contend with.

eh guys...thanks for all the great advice.

now how about adding a UV light device...would that kill my plants, starve them out?

I am a big fan of UV. Just make sure you get a big enough unit and that your pump is matched for the size of the uv as flow rate is very important. There is all kinds of good info on the web. I run a 55 watt on my 350 gal tank. I have about 300 lbs of texas holey rock and it had ugly looking algae on it within 2 weeks....what a pain to scrub it up every 2 weeks. The uv and purigen have done the trick it has been 8 months since I have scrubbed and the rock is still snow white, If you get a larger unit and have the right flow it can even kill ich. It changes the dna of cells but only harms by exposure which takes place inside the uv chamber so it is harmless to the inhabitants of your tank and will not alter your water. My led lights had a lot to do with my algae problem but you have the sun to contend with.

I on the other hand am not a fan. Sure it will kill harmful organisms but it will also take out your beneficial bacteria. Save your money. Ponds and algae go hand in hand and once you have it packed full of plants, it's a waiting game for it to get clear. It just takes time. I'm into season 3 for my pond and I still get a bloom each year and combined with the recent heat wave it's worse that ever. I just scoop as much as I can out with my net daily and don't worry about anything else.

UV cannot harm your beneficial bacteria - it only affects what flows thru the UV chamber, and your BB stays on its surface (biomedia, rocks, etc.)

That being said, I agree that planting your pond is the best route to go, IMO, for reasons mentioned above. But, like my opinion on planted aquariums, I think you need to put way more plants than most people do to stay ahead of the algae game.