Metronidazole

dunl

I got some from a vet in liquid form, but I need to know how the strength differs from the store bought (looks like I have bloat in my 77 gallon)....

The label states:

"1mL : Metronidazole 5 mg, sodium chloride 7.9mg, dibasic sodium phosphate and citric acid (for PH adjustment)."

The pH is approximately 5.7, and it also states 5mg/ML

Anyone got a clue on diluting this, or dosage size/strength, etc. ???

You need a min of 250 mg per 10 gallons of tank water.

1 teaspoon = 5 ml

if 1 ml = 5mg Met, then you would need 10 teaspoons of the liquid med that you have, per 10 gallons of water. (actual water)

I think? :wacko:

Edited by RD.

Anyone have a container of Metronidazole that can give me the concentrations listed on it?

I just don't want to overdose the fish and kill them with it, as it is an antibiotic.

I have a can of metro purchased from Jemco. I does not really state the amount of med per grams. All it says is:

1 level teaspoon per 164 gallons of water, 1/4 teaspoon for 41 gallon

The bottle from Petland says:

1 to 2 measures (of the scoop provided) each about 100 mg for every 10 gallons.

Thats all thats on the two bottles.

For bloat, I have found "Cloat" to work best using the technique found here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24132

The followed up by feeding small amount of food soaked in metro till I see that all the fish are eating well and the stringy poop has stopped. Usually about 7- 8 days. I do very high percentage water changes (50%) as per the shedule in the above link.

Here is another treatment, I have not tried this one:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46140

It's poopy thing to have happen, I have been fortunate to have NOT lost a single fish the last couple of time it hit!!!!

Good Luck,

• 2 months later...

I always dose the meds I get from the vet by soaking the food, not the tank. If I have to soak the tank because they aren't eating, they go into a smaller quarantine tank....

Hmmm! I need a place to go for meds also as many effective meds can not be bought or sold in Canada (but can be bought and sold in the US). The petstore meds are so diluted that they are not effective. The only way I can get meds is if prescribed by a vet.

Do you know this vet personnally or can I phone a vet to ask them? I just dont want them thinking that Im going to use it myself (this being the case why Canada has banned them)! :wacko:

Btw, this is the dosage I have for Metro intended for discus!

Metronidazole

Internal flagellate protozoans Hexamita and Spironucleus

Treatment:

Dosage - 1teaspoon(400mg)/10g every 8 hours for 3 days

Temperature - 94F for 10 days

Medicated Food - 250mg per 100gr of beefheart

Notes

Will not harm the biofilter. Cannot mix with Flubendazole

Edited by ronrca

Last time I called, I immediately had the vet on the hpone, asking why. I explained what it was for, and why, and although they don't normally sell it to customers, they did sell it to me in my case.

I also explained that including the fry from the breeding, I didn't know exactly how many cichlids I actually had in the house, and wanted liquid form to soak the food it in order to be able to dose it more efficiently than the water in a tank.

Once explained, it seemed to help. If it was me, I would make a personal visit the next time and simply explain why you want it. I wouldn't explain that it's because you can't buy it elsewhere, etc. Just let them know what it's needed for.

Good luck!