Setting Up New Tank And Looking For A Fun Bottom Feeder

DougAdel

So, I'm currently in the process of setting up a 33g tank. So far I've got 3 plants, a fair sized piece of driftwood, 2 large rocks and a gravel substrate.

The inhabitants I'm hoping to set up are 1 Angel, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Platy and 6 Harlequin Rasboras. I'm on the hunt to find a fun bottom feeder cat/pleco that won't turn in to a bully and that will be OK with the current set up. I like the thought of the Rasboras, but I don't have my heart dead set on them if they will get in the way of a bottom feeder.

So, I'm currently in the process of setting up a 33g tank. So far I've got 3 plants, a fair sized piece of driftwood, 2 large rocks and a gravel substrate.

The inhabitants I'm hoping to set up are 1 Angel, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Platy and 6 Harlequin Rasboras. I'm on the hunt to find a fun bottom feeder cat/pleco that won't turn in to a bully and that will be OK with the current set up. I like the thought of the Rasboras, but I don't have my heart dead set on them if they will get in the way of a bottom feeder.

Just about any Corydoras species will work - certainly the more common and affordable ones.

As for plecos, Bristlenose are quite common and will work; any of the Hypancistrus species will fit, but they can be a bit tricky for a newbie; most Peckoltia would also fit, and Clown Plecos would work as well.

Have fish, have fun!

+1 on what jvision said, I adore corys like tiny puppy dogs when they find food in the substrate and those little tails start a wiggling, I have an albino cory who likes to sleep with his head buried in the sand freaking me out thinking oh no he is dead till I lift him halfway up the tank, then he starts wiggling to be let loose, they are constantly on the go but should have at leas 3+ of the same type although 5 works better,

+1 for cories. Awesome little guys. I myself am looking into getting a small BN pleco someday soon.

... I have an albino cory who likes to sleep with his head buried in the sand freaking me out...

Pics or it isnt true!!! lol... never seen a cory with its head buried in the sand so that would be cool to see.. just picturing a cory planted nose down with its tail up in the air. :rofl:

The Bristlenose will stay hidden for the most part, but it'll do a great job at keeping the glass clean! A 33gal certainly has room for both - you could easily do a pair of BN and a school of 6+ Corys.

The Bristlenose will stay hidden for the most part, but it'll do a great job at keeping the glass clean! A 33gal certainly has room for both - you could easily do a pair of BN and a school of 6+ Corys.

I like the way you think!

I have an ABN pleco in my 35g tank and I actually see it out most of the time the lights are on. Glass is kept quite clean though.

For a glass cleaner I like hillstream loaches, I call them poor man stingrays, super good cleaner and very pretty stay small and way less poop to clean than plecos and dont uproot plants or rearrange the sand

For a glass cleaner I like hillstream loaches, I call them poor man stingrays, super good cleaner and very pretty stay small and way less poop to clean than plecos and dont uproot plants or rearrange the sand

I've read that keeping them properly fed can be difficult. What kind of experience have you had with that?

Never had to do anything special with my 3 I have 1 in each of my 10gs and 1 in my 75g, I do occasionally switch them to my betta tanks to help clean the glass in those but other than feeding algae wafers, veggie wafers, spirulina tablets, and shrimp pellets 2x a week which is what I do for my corys and plecos I dont do anything special for them, had one for 8 months and the other 2 around 6 months, didnt know they were hard to keep fed

I did a little research on these guys and I've read a couple places that they require a strong current. Has this ever been an issue for you?

Not for me, I have an addiction to bubble walls so that helps but these guys seem okay in slow movement as well as I switch them out into my betta tanks (1.5-3G) that only have a little tetra whisper filterrun by a small air pump, as im lazy and dont want to clean the glass lol, I have these guys really easy to keep, the info I have found online I believe tends more to breeding them