My tanks

andyg

I thought it was time to share some shots of my tanks. (Click on pics for larger shots.)

20G My first planted tank.(About 15 months since set up ) Fauna: 1 DP female, 6 Neons, 4 Gold White Clouds, 2 Panda Corys, 5 Otos. Taken about 1 week ago.

20g0108058pc.th.jpg

50G My second tank( set up Jan 05 ) Fauna: 8 Neons, 11 White Clouds, 3 Dwarf Gouramis, 3 Panda Corys, 1 Albino Cory, 4-6 Otos ( Hard to count as they hide a lot )2 3" SAE ( 1 male, 1 female) 1 5" Sailfin Pleco. Taken 1 month ago in its jungle state

50g1007056ys.th.jpg

30G My newest addition. Set up second week of Jul/05. Fauna so far: 4 Peppered Corys, 2 yet to be identified Corys, 2 3.5" SAEs, 1 common pleco (1.5"), 8 Otos. Plan to add some Rams and Angels in the near future. Taken yesterday.

30g1308052ut.th.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. I kind of happy the way they turned out. I've got a journal going on each from start to were they are now and, if I ever find enough time I'll upload and get my website going.

Valerie in regards to the SAE. I'm guessing based on what I have observed with the 4 that I have.

From my two in the 50, both were purchased at the same time and grew at the same rate until about 5-6 months ago. One kept its slim shape while the other kept getting rounder around the middle. At that time I thought that it was just very well fed. At about the same time they started doing these weird little dance around the tank, nothing like their usual chasing around. ( I wish I had written down the antics or videotaped it at the time)

It/she kept getting bigger and bigger around the middle. Then about a week later when I turned the lights on in the am it/she was back down to about half the size of the previous day. Meanwhile the other was nowhere to be seen and remained so for at least 2-3 days. It then reappeared and both were again swimming around as if nothing had happened.

I going on a limb here and assume that she laid some eggs and he was guarding them.

I've got a pic of the two of them were you can clearly see the difference between the two. In the last few months the male(?) has grown at least 1/2" longer and retain its slim shape. The female(?) to this day retain that bulging middle section.

My hosting site for pics is currently down so here's a link to a post I did on the Planted Tank forum.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthre...hlight=sae+male

Hope this answer your questions.

Great Tanks!  Would you mind sharing some info about them? What kind of lighting do you have over them?  Substrate?  CO2? etc.

DJay

As requested, tank stats:

20G PetCetera kit, gravel substrate, AC 150 filter, Diy CO2 ( just restarted after a 2 months lapse ) with Hagen ladder, Coralife 65W 6700K pc fixture 12-14 Hrs day, Elite 100W heater, Rena 100 airpump ( also suppling the 30 )

Flora: Amazon swords, Java Fern & Moss, Java "Windelov", Microswords, Dwarf Sags, Anubia "Nana". Still in there for a little bit longer half a dozen stems of Moneywort, Ludwigia Repens and Cabomba. ( these are being removed as the swords & java are filling the spaces.)

50G Oceanic, Eco Complete substrate, Rena XP3 filtration, DIY CO2 and inline reactor (none in the last three months) Coralife 2 X 65W 6700K pc fixture ( 8 hrs @ 130W, 4-6 hrs @ 65W ) Ebo-Jager 150W heater.

Flora: Java Fern & Moss, Dwarf Sags & Italian Vals, Crypt Wendtii "Brown", Echinodorus "Red Special" & Ozelot, Microswords, Alternanthera Reineckii, ( slowly dying :( ).

For another month or so Moneywort, Ludwigia Repens.

I cut off the CO2 as a trial to see if I could slow down the growth of the Ludwigia and moneywort as I had to trim the plants 2-3 times a week to keep them from overtaking the whole tank. It worked to a certain degree, I now only trim once a month but, my other plants are suffering from the lack of CO2. Solution...Remove the stem plants.

30G Oceanic Cube, Schultz Aquatic soil & gravel substrate, Fluval 404 filtration, set up for DIY CO2 with Hagen ladder ( so far not used ) DIY hood with Glomat 2 X 20W ballast running 2 15W 6700K Life-Glo bulbs ( might upgrade to 4 in the future )

Flora: Java Fern & Moss, Java " Windelov", Amazon swords, Crypt "balansae " Anubia "Nana" For a while longer until the Swords and Crypt get going, Ludwigia Repens and Cabomba.

I set this one up as a low light, low tech tank so CO2 will not be used unless absolutly necessary.

All tanks, PH 6.8-7, KH 5, GH 4, NO3 10-20ppm, PO4 1-2ppm ( 30 currently sits at 5ppm ) Amonia and Nitrite both at 0 were they should be.

I only had K2SO4 and Plantex CSM+B every couple of weeks ( If I remember) for ferts. NO3 & PO4 provided in sufficient levels by the fauna and feeding.

Water changes, 50% every 3-4 Weeks.

Awesome tanks Andy!

Your talent for aquascaping is reason for envy. Of the three, I find the 30 gallon very striking.

Beautiful work. B)

Thanks,

The 30 is also my favorite at this point. It is also the only where I made a serious attempt at aquascaping.

The 50 is next on my list and will be re-scaped in the near future..

I don't think I'll do too much with the 20 as it will remain the snail cleanup tank for new plants. But who knows.LOL

I am almost sure that aquascaping tanks properly is a talent you either have it or you don't especially planted tanks.

Quite obviously you have it Andy, lot of work in yours, beautiful tanks well done,

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Right now I'm itching to get at the 50. But I have to be patient and wait until I can devote at least a full day to it.

The plan there is to remove all the stem plants, relocate the driftwood and cave so they are not lost in the sags and vals.

This is a pic of the 50 taken today. After last week's pic I did a major trimming on the Bacopa and Ludwigia.

Tomorrow, my first day off since the beginning of the summer, I'll be doing the rescaping. I'll update when thing are done and the tank has settled.

50g2008057nc.th.jpg