Anyone had success breeding Phenochilus?

RDFISHGUY

I may just have to be patient with these guys but if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate them. I just took everybody else out of my 150 gal so they have lots of room and no intruders. Any other advice . Temp is around 80-82F. Ph is in the mid 7's (7.3-7.5) which is a little low but the Taiwon reef bred in the same tank on the 15th so it can't be that far out of whack. Any advice would be appreciated . Thanks Ryan.

Hi RDFISHGUY,

I haven't bred any phenos but we have bred various africans. Phenos are my favorite and would love to hear from you if you do get some fry. I read on a previous post that you have one male and one female you may first off want to get at least two more females to up your chances of breeding. IME - having only one rock cave and lots of open space for them is always a good idea and a lot less work for the male to find the females. The fish seem to get in the 'mood' so to speak after a water change. Keep an eye on them if you only have one female as some males tend to get agressive (I know this isn't the nature of Phenos but, I haven't seen them breed before). Give them some time intially to get settled and then start with weekly water changes.

HTH, Keep us posted!

Amy

My main concern is that the female may be too old. She hasn't grown since I got her . The male has grown about 1.5" to about 4.5-5" and has the freckles and he seems interested but the female seems disinterested. Adding more females would be difficult as it isn"t everyday you come across WC phenochilus.I'll try to post some pictures of my tank after supper.

to my understanding, these guys do take longer then your regular haps to come to breeding age.

They might just not be ready to breed yet.

Diet also can be a factor.

I'd feed them some frozen blood worms OR bfrozen brine Shrimp OR frozen mysis 1-3 times per week in small quantities. The extra protien will help the female in egg production. Also, some good size water changes with the addition of slightly cooler water may trigger spawning as it will simulate the changing of the seasons.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_phenochilus.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1218

http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=78

Also, how long have they been in thier new tank by themselves???

They may take 4-6 weeks to become acustomed to thier new home and become comfortable enough to breed!!!!!

Hope that help a little

Try feeding them a little heavier than normal (you could supplement as Rahim does, but I've never had to with anything I've ever bred so personally wouldn't waste the time) for about a week, do a 30-40% water change, and then don't feed for a week. I've often had success not feeding for a week and having it triggering them to spawn.

I was over at Ryan's last night, and also asked if he was feeding lots of NLS.

The extra feed will help the female prepare for egg production. They've only been together in the tank for 2 days now, so I suspect that's been a huge shock to them to suddenly find themselves all alone in a 150. So far it looks good, they were sticking very close, with no aggression from the male.

I'm going to predict that by this time next week the female will be holding. :hey:

Seeing I have a bit of mysis I'll try it . They were doing a little bit of circling again this afternoon. If they don't hurry up they'll be back in the rowdy tank as Neil and I have new plans for the 150 gal.