All water paramaters normal

New biomedia taken from old tank

previous occupants

1 crowntail betta

1 rubbernose pleco

20 raspbora maculatas

3 panda garra.

8 cherry shrimp

Fully planted tank with manzanita driftwood.

Ebi 8 gallon with an aquaclear 30

Here's the story

My aquaclear filter died 2 weeks ago while we were on honeymoon.My mother in law did not catch it right away.

I came home to my macs covered in white spots and my water black.(not tanins black BLACK)

I moved everyone into a clean quarantine tank using a sponge filter and water from our established healthy 30 gallon.

I lost a few macs. This was expected. I kept them in there for a week while we set up a new home for them. Fish were not given anything due to their very small size.

Nobody dies.

I move them into our new 12 gallon long planted mr.aqua. It's a beautiful tank.

All seems fine.

A WEEK LATER I notice a dead mac on the surface of the water. Time for a water change

I start my aquarium siphon.

dead

macs

I'm feeling sick. I test my parameters. normal

I test my temperatures normal.

We add a new aqua clear 30 along with the sponge filter

Day 1 no dead macs

day 2 no dead macs

day 3 2 dead macs glued to sponge intake I figured the stress got to them.

day 3 night 1 dead rubbernose pleco belly up in the middle of the tank. I was quite fond of him :( :(

Day 3 night survivors

1 crowntail betta

3 panda gara

4 raspbora maculata

8 cherry shrimp

How do I save my baby fish? What could be happening??? some sort of toxic shock???

*cries

If you've seeded your new filtre with bio media from an existing filtre and you've done regular water changes then it just may have been stress... however it is unusual especially if all the water parametres are fine eg nitrates and ammonia etc.

try seeding the new aquaclear by squeezing a "dirty" sponge or other filtre media into it and doing 20% water changes every 2-3 days

what type of chlorine/chloramine remover are you using ?

The best course of action probably would have been to move an established filter to your 1st tank and start doing 50% daily WCs. Stress from goin to severely dirty to pristine water is a huge change and could be what shocked them beyond recovery.

With small fish, it's so hard to tell - even in 'perfect' conditions they can seem to be the picture of health one minute and belly-up the next. :(

Yeah I figured that may have done it.Vacation panic mode set in and I forgot how fragile nano fishies can be.

My cherry shrimp look fantastic! even had babies in the new tank!.I keep a saltwater tank and the shrimp are always canaries.

I figure I'll let it sit for about a week and watch very carefully. If nobody else dies I'll add a spare guppy from the other tank to see if they're alright before I go get any more fishes If this sounds alright?

It's hard when I hadn't lost a FW fish in almost a year except for a jumper to see my peaceful ecosystem turned on it's head.

yerk fish jerky!

I still love the maculatas and will see if I can't order some new ones when I'm ready. If any of you have any for sale that you'd hold till after this mess that'd be fantastic.

Not giving out my saltwater tally...