Halogen lights

lukep77

It's a good decision to start working on CO2 before fertilization. However, as far as I know, Pet Land sells those Nutrafin fermentation CO2 systems with a ladder type diffuser. I think they claim they are sufficient for up to 20g tanks. In your case, not enough. You are better off with a DIY system with a power reactor, or even better with a true pressurized system (CO2 cylinder, pressure regulator, needle valve + power reactor).

Here is where you can find useful information on this:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Hope it goes well ...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to CO2 reactors, here are some more links:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

http://www.plantedtank.net/co2reactor.html (try copy-paste the address, link doesn't work)

If you have a canister filter, you may consider an external in-line reactor.

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

The advantage of this is that it doesn't take up the tank space, but principle is the same.

Edited by Milan

• 1 month later...

Ok so after a few weeks of the new lights the plants seem to be doing better.

I just added a small CO2 unit to my system. So I will see how things look in a few weeks.

Here is a up dated shot of some new plants I added and some plants that I got from a AA member.

newfull2.jpg

From looking at your tank, I'd say the plant in the back is bamboo. The leaves will do best if you stuck them out of the tank - that's when the plant should start to flourish.

Looks like you've added some Giant Valisneria (the grass-like plants). Without much trouble, they'll easily grow tall enought to cover the entire tank. The "Moneywort" can actually be planted - looks like you've attached it to a rock? Stick the end in the sand and let it grow up to the surface. If it gets too tall, just chop it off to a hight that you like, and plant (or give away) the tops. They'll continue to grow and grow and grow.

My experince with Anubias is that it is a heavy root feeder. It's a 'slow grower' as compared to the Valisnerian and "Moneywort", but if you get enough nutrients to the roots, you'll start seeing a couple of new leaves/week. I attach mine to driftwood or rocks with their roots at least touching, or growing into, the substrate.

Java fern is the only plant that you have that - IMO - grows best out of the sand.

The other (new?) plant you have on the right side is a type of Cryptocoryne. They have a tendancy to 'melt' (ie. leaves turn to mush) when water parameters change too much - it often happens w/in a week of adding it to the tank. If this happens, don't worry too much. New leaves should grow back. These too, like substrate fertilizer.

It's good that you've added CO2 - it's the most important 'fertilizer' that you can add, even at low light levels. I would consider your tank a 'low light' tank b/c of discussions earier about halogens giving off relatively low light. Once you have CO2 going, and decide on lighting, that's when you start adding other feritlizers.

I like to use what is refered to as Estimative Index fertilizing. I add a certain amount every day (Google "Aquatic Plants Digest" for more info about this topic), then do a min 50% WC each week. Plants grow like Gangbusters, pearling (ie. plants produce so much O2 - a byproduct of photosynthesis - that the water can no longer hold it in solution. The plants literally bubble O2), and HAPPY FISH!!

I know there's so much to learn about the whole Planted Tank thing. But once you get the hang of things, it sure is rewarding!

HTH!