90 Gallon Fish Tank For African Cichlids

sebek18

Hey guys. This is my first post on the forums here as I am new. It might have been discussed already but I haven't found an answer yet. My question is this. I am buying a used 90 gallon fish tank that does not come with a filter. Would anyone be able to recommend something? I have looked up Eheim and Fluval as those are popular. Also since we are on the topic of cichlids what would be a nice setup (fish) for a 90 gallon tank. So far biggest I have had was 30 Gallons. Thanks alot :D

Edited by sebek18

I have a 90 gal tank and I am working towards getting it full of male peacocks. I have been breeding some types to get there and also bought some males of a few types as I don't have space to breed that many. I have 50 gal with male peacocks as well. If you need some to populate your tank let me know as I have quite a few extras, and not expensive. I use a Fluval 405 on the 90 and a 305 on the 50 plus I have 5 more in use and have not had any problems with them. Some people don't like them and I guess they have their reasons but I'm ok with them. BTW my 90 is the easiest tank to care for and cichlids are quite hearty and durable. The odd time you may get some carnage but you can limit that by having enough of them and different types. Make sure you decide what types you want before you go buy as that is easier than regretting it later.

I'm up to 3 - 90 gallons right now and running different setups on all of them.

My first 90 I went all out and got the FX5 and run it full of bio and filter floss. It has approx 8-10 adult cichlid's in it and the water is clean and clear. I've had no problems at all with this filter setup. Keep in mind I do weekly or bi-weekly 30% water changes and alternate changing out filter floss and cleaning the course filter sponges.

My next 90 has a Rena XP4 and Marineland ........can't remember which model and a Emperor 400. It is overstocked badly with Peacock Cichlids around 20 adults (which I'm working on thinning out) but the water stays clean and clear (better now that I have the Emperor on there for polishing), once again same water change/filter maintenance schedule.

My most recent 90 has a Rena XP4 (or the API XL or whatever they are calling it) on it only and I've just put my Frontosa's, Calvus and Synodontis in there. Same maintenance as the other tanks.

I guess you can see a trend here as I've really taken a liking to the Rena XP4/API XL although they removed the spray bar on the XL and have a more generic output.

A few reason's why I'm liking it is maintenance and customization. There are lots of compartments to set up your filtration/bio/chem needs as your heart desires. I prefer running lots of bio in mine and have bypassed the chemical for the most part unless its necessary. Maintenance wise the Rena are super easy to maintain and clean where the Marineland I have I despise for cleaning and the FX5 is just heavy more then anything. I have had issues with the FX5 with particles getting into the return and having to do some extra maintenance there but that's more my issue for having the intake too close to the heaping piles of substrate in that tank.

I usually wait for sales on bio and the filters so for my money the Rena/API are my choice but if the FX5 goes on a good sale, and I can actually get my hands on one its an awesome filter.

An FX5 is all that you'll ever need for a 90 gal, but if you go for a smaller canister (like a Fluval 403) I would add a large HOB. I have a 75gal tank that is full of large messy plecos; it is filtered with an Eheim 2217, AquaClear 500 (or whatever the model # is now - the largest) AND an AC 300 (2nd largest). All are filled with biomedia only - I just siphon out all the mechanical waste (sometimes once a week, sometimes every day - depends on my 'breeding' goals).

One of the schools of thought with keeping African Cichlids is to over stock the tank so that aggression is diffused throughout the tank. If that is your goal, you should aim to at least double the suggested filtration (FX5 is rated for 400gal - I have 2 on my 120gal).

If you're on a tight budget, search the Buy/Sell, Kijiji, garage sales, etc. If you find 2 AC500s, you're set!

If you're on a tight budget, search the Buy/Sell, Kijiji, garage sales, etc. If you find 2 AC500s, you're set!

Yup have to agree .. I think they are called AC 110's now