Mbuna Tank

SuperGuppyGirl

So have been trying to find out more about this neat little African but can't seem to find proper info, only one I can find is the White Top but the Blue Reef is supposed to be less aggressive. All I have been able to find out is the males look like the White Top Hara and grow to 3-4 inches, the females and juvies are a cobalt blue. Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with them? I was hoping as they stay small, to put a pair in a 33/35 Gallon with a few dithers and possibly a BN pleco. I would have a sand substrate, HOB AC 50, bubble wand, and was hoping to plant it a bit with Anubas and Java Fern and any other low tech hardy plant that they don't like the taste of. The other one I was looking at was the Cynotilapia afra (Lupingu), again stays small maybe a trio? Woefully ignorant to Mbunas/African Cichlids so hoping someone could tell me Yay or Nay. Thanks in advance.

Thinking this is why I can't find any info on the Blue Reef:

"I also brought up the "White Top Hara" Wich was sold to me as Psuedotropheus Zebra White Top Hara.

This fish has been reclassified as a Cynotilapia. I asked him if this was a relatively new species and he said "Yes"... I asked him if they were the same fish as the Cyno. Blue Reef? He said "NO" very quickly and mentioned that the Blue Reef was infact a "Zebra Complex, and was not the same species as the Cynotilapia White Top Hara!! This information came from the Man himself folks Mr. Ad Konings."

quote from http://www.midwestci...hp?t-11213.html

Incidently, this is the link to the person selling and how he has the name listed about the Blue Reef.

http://www.albertatr...n-Cichlids.html

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

One thing to keep in mind is mbuna, like most African mouth brooders, are "harem" spawners. A single female will be harassed constantly by a male and most likely end up dead, leaving you with a single male. I always try to have at least 3+ females to one male. Especially in such a small tank. I have kept a group of 8 in a 40gal, leaving the dominant male and pulling out the other males as they mature until I had one very happy male and 5 females.

Dither fish are not necessary with mbuna since they are so active. No need to add more stress on the tank in terms of bioload. Instead of a BN pleco I would suggest Syn. petricola. The Synondontis will take a lot more abuse and come from the same habitat as the African cichlids. Just keep in mind the petricolas are also happier in a group and don't do well in small numbers.

As far as the hard wear, substrate and plants you are right on track.

Hope this is helpful and good luck in your mbuna endeavors.

:beer:

I've done a 35 with Electric Yellows and cyaneorhabdos, but those are pretty mellow for mbuna and stay smallish. I really wouldn't do a mbuna tank in anything smaller than a 55 (36x18" footprint) unless it was a single species tank. A 48" 75 gal is an ideal starter size for a mbuna community... hint, hint. ;)

Lol Jason, eventually that might happen, this idea is to get my feet wet so to speak. I was only thinking a single species, of one of the above. The coloration is amazing on some of the ones I researched. Unfortunately don't think I could mix these with my Cryptoheros and considering it would be a Cory free tank I'm seeing if I could handle that lol.

Burbot, your info helped alot as I don't really understand the aggression of the Africans and the amount to overstock in the proper way. Once I decide the one I want, I can get the right ratio and a proper clean up crew.

My 2 cents worth.......I have a 55 with 4 acei(3 males 1 female) 3 yellow labs (2 males 1 female), 1 male red zebra, 1 male sunburst peacock, 1 female saulosi (if anyone has more of the saulosi, PLEASE let me know, she's lonely) and a 5 or 6 inch pleco. I know that my ratios are backwards, but it's just how it's ended up after 3 years, and the tank is running well. None of the females are stressed, and the only fish that shows any aggression is the zebra. I find the mildest fish to be the acei. I've stopped saving fry because I just have no more room, and I can't be sure of mixes.

The yellow labs and yellow tail acei while nice looking just don't perk my interest. I like having something a little off the norm but just going to have to maybe wait for a bigger tank to come free or find more on the Cyno Blue Reef. Thank you all!