Stocking Suggestions

kristarockstar

Just looking for ideas for fish for this aquarium. I will have shrimp of some sort (yellow, orange, cherry etc) so I think I would like a small schooling fish.

I already have cardinal tetras in another tank so I would like something different.

prefer:

-small, bright and colourful

-hangs out at either the top or middle tank

-schooling or fine in larger groups

-won't harass shrimp

-available in calgary (name a store or breeder please)

I will be adding more plants to this set up

IMG_1138_zps0e7a65f5.jpg

Edited by kristarockstar

I have celestial danios/galaxy rasboras, emerald dwarf rasboras and maculatus in my cherry shrimp tank without issue. Small mouths is what I go for if I'm adding fish to a shrimp tank, they are colorful and tend stay middle or top of the tank. They all school well and with enough plants tend to leave the shrimplets alone. 6 or more is what they prefer as a shoal. But have no idea where you would find in Calgary.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Small Rasboras and/or danios:

- Harlequin rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha)

- Lamb chop rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)

- Celestial Pearl Danio / Galaxy Rasboras (Celestichthys margaritatus)

Small Tetras

- Glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erithrozonus)

- Rummynose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri)

- Bloodfin tetra (Aphyocharax anisitsi)

All are usually available from Big Al's or Pisces or Riverfront.

Edited by Znaika

I raised Endler's livebearers and Cherry Shrimp by the hundreds together in a 25 gal. It's the male Endler's that have all the color and there are quite a few different color varieties around.

Thanks for all the ideas! I googled them all and they don't seem to be as bright and colourful as the cardinal tetras I have, maybe the pictures just don't do them justice.

Any other suggestions out there?

There is NOTHING that is more bright and colourful than cardinal tetras, however is it not only brightness and colourfulness that leaves an impression. Sometimes a stealthy look is better. A school of glowlight tetras in a dimly lit tank is more impressive than a bunch of stupid guppies in a bowl, although the latter are certainly more bright and colourful. Just my opinion.

Disclaimer: Any my opinion may be wrong, including this one.

Edited by Znaika

I have Endlers with my shrimp. The population keeps growing ... both shrimp and Endlers. I have also found that the temperament of the fish is important. I have a male Beta with shrimp and he has never eaten one shrimp. Many people would disagree with keeping a Beta with shrimp, I don't really recommend it. It was out of need that I put the Beta temporarily with the shrimp and it worked, and they live happily ever after lol.

I seem to prefer the more natural look, I love the silvery shine of Mountain Cloud minnows. They remind me of my favorite minnows from the lake where I grew up. When the males display to one another, they get almost black with a red stripe. They never bothered my cherry shrimp.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq176/c_scherer123/aquarium/Jan201111.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq176/c_scherer123/aquarium/Jan201110.jpg

If you were adventurous, you could even add a group of smaller cories. My gold line cories don't do anything to keep my cherry shrimp population in check despite only feeding every other day...

It does seem to be hit and miss whether or not fish will decide that shrimp are food.

I had one betta that never bothered them, and another that considered them snacks. I even had a red jewel cichlid that let the bright red female cherry shrimp help clean her eggs - if they weren't bright red, they were lunch...

My trip up to edmonton went well.

Except that morning I woke up to find my 10 gallon half empty... leak!

So even though I saw lots of fish I wanted to buy... I ended up just getting one group because I was short one tank and had to transfer all my snails, shrimp and cardinal tetras to my 20 gal long.

I was planning on getting those ember tetras.... but Aquarium central had these pink danios that I just couldn't resist! Most of the ones I got were long fin as well. The guy who helped me was really great and he even gave me a couple of egg heavy females so I am going to try my hand at egg layer breeding (I have only tried live bearers in the past)

I currently have the biggest female with a couple of males in my unoccupied fluval spec with some of that plastic mesh. If they don't spawn in the next couple of days I will separate them again and condition them some more and try again in a week or so.

My good camera lens is broken and they are too fast for my iphone but they look like this:

Zebra%20pink%20long%20fin.gif