Hello From Edmonton

jokersnightmare

Hi,

I've had an aquarium for about 2 years now. I started with a measly 10 gallon with a bunch of golfish. I still have some of them but I've upgraded in size to a 55 gallon. I've got a mix of fish that defies all logic and from what I'm told should not be together but they don't bother each other.

I have 4 common goldfish

1 yoyo loach

1 rainbow shark

several guppies (I've even gotten them to breed with these other large fish around)

4 ottocinclus

and probably 10+ small various species snails.

I built the stand myself and I will be posting pictures later.

I'm looking forward to the auction coming up. I'm hoping to grab a larger setup or possibly trade with someone who needs one my size.

My hope is to eventually get a well planted tank that is fully self-sustaining... minus the water changes and so forth that I need to do to keep it going.

Now for the pictures I promised.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u665/Pete_Wellman-Maurice/IMG_6632_zpsbc92c017.jpg

My Yo-Yo Loach. He's shy, even to me. He normally stays in his cave mostly unless it's feeding time. I only got him this winter and nearly all the water leaked out of the bag during the trip home. He was barely moving when I got him home but he's been a great addition to my tank.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u665/Pete_Wellman-Maurice/IMG_6630_zpsff207d4b.jpg

Everyone swimming around waiting for food. Except for the Ottocinclus who are perched on the air line. Even the Guppy fry are out.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u665/Pete_Wellman-Maurice/IMG_6629_zps044513bc.jpg[

Feeding Time

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u665/Pete_Wellman-Maurice/IMG_6627_zps7cc8352d.jpg

My custom made stand. Complete with light inside to see your supplies, and built-in plugins.

That is about where I started too, with goldfish in a 10g and upgraded to a 55g. (I later put the goldfish in a pond and upgraded to a 90g high tech planted tank).

Are you sure that is a 55g? Looks a bit small to me.

It does look small which is why I want to upgrade.

But yes, it was bought as a 55ga starter kit. 48x12x18. Came with a power filter which I later upgraded to the U4.( I know it takes away from the water space but the performance and noise level is much better.) It also had a heater which ended up being replaced because of a recall.

The tank is just dwarved by my stand which I made high. The stand is actually about 4ft high.

If anyone has had power filters, underwater filters, and canister filters, can you please compare the performance vs noise level to me.

I love my canister filter and would put one on any tank 40g and up. HOBs (Hang-on-Back power filter) can work, but I find they aren't as easy to clean as canisters and there is a chance of 'overflow' when the media gets full in HOBs.

I got a Rena XP3 and put it on my 65g goldfish tank, it was a life saver.

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Nice stand. That rock on the right almost looks like the chunk of live rock I have in my salt water tank.

I have used nothing but canisters but think they kick butt. I like that they are hidden away in the stand and are virtually silent when the stand doors are closed. I would have been driven nuts by the sound of trickling water of a HOB not to mention having to deal with the urge to go to the washroom upon hearing the slight splashing noises.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Definately Canister Filters, i started with a 40 gallon and two underwater filters, they were nice but i found they were more of a pain to maintain and clean. and didn't provide as much water movement as i wanted. i then switched to a large HOB filter, liked it at first until the media starts getting older and flow gets bed and i actually had algae growing on the trickle part because i had very high lighting high above the tank... kind of a nuisance because the cleanup crew cannot get there. I now have an eheim canister filter and love love love it. its quiet, powerful, and extremely easy to use and maintain. They are pricier but i would suggest canister.

Once again Welcome to AA! :D