Led Lights In A Planted Tank

jamesbarr

Intensity seems to be the running problem with most 'affordable' LEDs. I am setting up a hood with 2-4 12W LEDs that cost around $75ea (got them on sale thanks to sprucegruve). I've tried a few affordable fixtures and they all lost intensity very quickly or just didn't cut it.

Did a drystart of HC in a 6gal fluval edge last year. I ran the stock led light for the unit and added not this but close and from the same manufacturer. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/illume-12-enviro-ultra-slim-led-strip-kit/991677

The HC grew well with the stock fluval led light however it took off when I threw the Illume product on it.

Costco carries something that looks like that. I wonder how the compare for intensity.

As jvision already mentioned, intensity can be a limiting issue for lower wattage LEDs. If you don't get enough intensity the light won't penetrate well. That is why a lot of the reef guys doing LEDs use optics with their DIY led fixtures.

That being said, if you are using this for the 5g experiment, it might do okay. You already have them on the way, but if the don't do it for you, those eBay GU10 3x bulbs seem to work nicely for the refers and cost about 5.00 each and are available in different colour temps and even mixtures of colours.

<Edit: fixed a typo>

Edited by cainechow