I Bought These Plants Thought They Were Crypts But Now Think They Are Anubias

Guppygirl

Another quick question. Can I trim their overgrown roots?, or will that hurt the plant? I have quite a bit of anubias nana that is rhysome and only thin roots, not these very large thick roots. It is true that they need a rhysome to make a new plant and not only one of these very nice roots? I know crypts can grow from a root. I will be most likely tying them to a piece of slate.Thanks.

They must of been grown emmerged, as one lost all it leaves, the other is hanging on to some leaves but expect them to all rot pretty soon. I have never had a anubias that rotted/melted like these did. Crypts yes anubias no. The rhizome is firm and I trimmed the roots so here's to hoping it comes back. I really like the look of them.

They must of been grown emmerged, as one lost all it leaves, the other is hanging on to some leaves but expect them to all rot pretty soon. I have never had a anubias that rotted/melted like these did. Crypts yes anubias no. The rhizome is firm and I trimmed the roots so here's to hoping it comes back. I really like the look of them.

A lot of these plants are grown emmersed hydroponically. You can expect existing leaves to wilt. If you see new leaves growing submerged, you have a good shot at keeping it alive. IME, emergent grown plants do best with CO2.

About 3 years ago I got a small chunk of rhizome for aubias barteri that was maybe an inch long with 3 dying leaves on it for free. The previous owner didn't want it because they thought it was going to die The plant is now bigger than the size of my head. Can't kill anubias almost unless you are purposely trying providing their basic needs are met.

I hope yours recovers!

Edited by Jro