75 Gallon Stocking Ideas

SuperGuppyGirl

So once again I want to change my tank around. Now my hubby who is not a fan of my hobby, has mentioned he might like it better if we had something more aggressive/interesting than the cryptoheros and angelfish currently in this tank. I had looked at Africans but really don't want to get rid of corys or live plants, or sand currently in the tank, so hoping that there are some SA/CA cichlids that can work with them and possibly the angels but don't get massive, and aren't Apistos. Possibly an earth eater type. Any ideas?

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Geos are a good option. Spencer Jack typically has the best selection of them, with Canadian Aquatics a close second most of the time. I don't see them in stores too often.

Don't want anything to big, so was looking at the Pindare, Tapajos and the Cupidos as these are the smallest I have found. Another might be the Gymnogeophagus, are these able to be mixed with the Geophagus? Any suggestions for these and do the captive bred ones still require a "cool down"? Looking for a not to high maintenance fish. I will be switching up my plants to some hardier ones, so possible stocking level for a 75 gallon with fluval 404, hydor 4 sponge filter, with a 36" bubble wall, around 30 asstd Corys, 7 SAE/Flying Foxes, and thinking 4 Angelfish. All help greatly appreciated :-D

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

sounds like your husband is like me, I find angels/discus/shrimp all that stuff just too boring to keep, I like aggression and color

i'd spend an hour or two with him on youtube looking up different types of cichlid tanks and see what hes most interested in, thats what I did with my wife, she really liked the yellow labs so there's some in there with the peacocks, which she also helped pick out.

im hoping keeping the wife involved and happy with this tank will lead to more tanks in the future :)

has he seen something like a green terror before? those might be up his alley

Edited by Tanganyifan

I had thought of Africans but even with alot of shuffling the 30 corys in that tank just have no where to go. Since they are my fave, just couldn't get rid of them, even with all the offers of good homes :-P lol kind of capped out on tanks till I get rid of my sister's tank, maintence day happens 6 out of 7 days of the week lol

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

If you go for gymnos and Cory's you could opt out of a heater, as long as you stay away from heat-lovers like Sterbai.

My corys would be snacks for the terror, although gorgeous fish and those pea puffers are nasty fin nippers if they want to be, and highly aggressive for such small guys. Thinking if I want to keep the current stock going to have to go with the GEOS , my costs do fairly well at 78 and so does everyone else. Can't wait to see what's at the auction now, thanks again, peoples.

I have kept Africans with cories with no problems. Just stick with peacocks and Utaka type fish. They have attitude. But won't beat the crud out of each other like Mbuna's. They all have personalities of their own. They are pretty, have attitude and shouldn't hurt the swarm of Cories.

I had a Cory that survived a tank crash when the filter died while I was on holidays. The ammonia cooked her eyes and she was blind. She lived in an African cichlid tank for another year before dying from old age.

You should have seen the male trying to breed with her. Lol.

My corys would be snacks for the terror, although gorgeous fish and those pea puffers are nasty fin nippers if they want to be, and highly aggressive for such small guys. Thinking if I want to keep the current stock going to have to go with the GEOS , my costs do fairly well at 78 and so does everyone else. Can't wait to see what's at the auction now, thanks again, peoples.

You know, this really does sound like its leading to permission for another tank! You probably should go for a 90 or a 135 for hubby to get the full benefit of his lovely monsters. Of course, you'll still get to do the maintenance and complimentary stocking, but it'd be HIS tank - the MAN TANK!

Lol, Jay tried that angle, unfortunately he said not until I get rid of my sister's tank. :( so thinking before I can go to a manly monster tank set up, my choice for a not quite peaceful fish are the geophagus tapajos red heads with my corys and 4 angels. So these do better in groups would 4 or 6 work in this tank with its inhabitants?