Crs/cbs Breeding In Tap Water

jeremoose

I've killed about 150$ worth of CRS/CBS trying :boxed:

They're THAT finicky hey? Damn that's no good. I guess I could always top the tank up with distilled water from Walmart.

I believe there are some people here in Edmonton that are keeping them in edmonton tap, not sure about breeding. I just haven't had any luck, even with acclimating slowly.

I have Cherry Shrimp in most of my tanks (about 10 tanks) in City of Edmonton water - I do an eighty to ninety % water change every second week(using prime) and the shrimp (& the rest of the fish) are doing fine. Tank temperatures run from 70F to 74F depending which shelf the tank is on. Is your water low or high PH?

Now funny thing is, I've had great success breeding the common crs and cbs in Edmonton tap water. Hence my confusion in another thread where I've got my tigers dying off slowly.

All I did was regular water changes, power filter at the time with a sponge over the intake, in a 15 Gallon tank. They seemed to do fine. Note, these were by no means super grade

stock, but the common stuff.

cheers,

Antonio

I have Cherry Shrimp in most of my tanks (about 10 tanks) in City of Edmonton water - I do an eighty to ninety % water change every second week(using prime) and the shrimp (& the rest of the fish) are doing fine. Tank temperatures run from 70F to 74F depending which shelf the tank is on. Is your water low or high PH?

Higher end of PH, mid to higher 7's. Any breeding in your tanks?

Now funny thing is, I've had great success breeding the common crs and cbs in Edmonton tap water. Hence my confusion in another thread where I've got my tigers dying off slowly.

All I did was regular water changes, power filter at the time with a sponge over the intake, in a 15 Gallon tank. They seemed to do fine. Note, these were by no means super grade

cheers,

Antonio

If you've got great success you should definitely sell me some of the acclimatized shrimp!

Higher end of PH, mid to higher 7's. Any breeding in your tanks?

>Now funny thing is, I've had great success breeding the common crs and cbs in Edmonton tap water. Hence my confusion in another thread where I've got my tigers dying off slowly.

cheers,

Antonio

If you've got great success you should definitely sell me some of the acclimatized shrimp!

Would love to but alas I made one fatal mistake. Colony had gone from 6-8 shrimp I'd gotten in an exchange to a good 30+. I needed somewhere to put a pair of new fish , Apisto's and I figure heck why not the shrimp tank. After all the fish were maybe an inch long, maybe a tad more and the shrimp were easily half it's size...well, next morning I woke up to a tank with 2 fish in it...I think 3 shrimp had survived. I was astounded that they could take apart that many shrimp, not leave a trace and next morning look like they'd been starving a week.. Last three died of old age but had no females at the time left so was a foregone conclusion :( Was sad too, as I'd started off with just the black version and from the offspring had started to see the red strain coming out every once in awhile so was looking forward to seperating them out.

Will keep you posted on the other stock I picked up, so far all but the tigers are doing quite well. Cherry shrimp are pretty much fire & forget, it's more difficult to get them to not breed at this point.

Cheers,

Antonio

I just purchased some from AC, hoping they will make a go of it. I also have some red rili shrimp in the same 6 gallon that have just started breeding, found 4 little guys so far from a colony of 10. I think part of it is they are slow breeders and the fry are so tiny might have sucked some out during WC. I have read the bees can be the same as the rilis, might be worth a shot.

My crs multiply in all my tanks with bristlenoses, pekoltia brevis, guppies, swordtails (mayae and alvarez species), columbian tetras and serpae tetras. A twenty gallon tank with only crs in it and a few plants (they seem to need plants) will produce many shrimp very quickly. I feed them zuchinni and powdered fish food.

My crs multiply in all my tanks with bristlenoses, pekoltia brevis, guppies, swordtails (mayae and alvarez species), columbian tetras and serpae tetras. A twenty gallon tank with only crs in it and a few plants (they seem to need plants) will produce many shrimp very quickly. I feed them zuchinni and powdered fish food.

Art, are you talking about Crystal Red shrimp(CRS) or cherry shrimp?