Cory Eggs Advice Please!

SuperGuppyGirl

So believe my big black momma likes her new tank as I have now just spotted eggs everywhere and as the blacks and the duplicareous are the only fish large enough to pop them out, and I believe I only have 2 male cups that leaves my black girl. So as my 10's are full going to have to leave them in there. What are the chances of wigglers in your opinions, I have added a 4" bubble bar under a large clump on water sprite in the back and another large air stone on a clump on a sword towards the front and so far none of the fish are interested (aru 2, ember tetras, emerald dwarf rasboras, hastatus/habrosus/pygmyaseous/duplicareous/black corys, mystery snail). All suggestions and advice appreciated.

Setup link

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=39144

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

Chances are the wrigglers will not survive. If the eggs are laid in plaques (groups of 10+) they are probably the blacks. If laid singly or in twos then it's probably the duplicareus. Black's eggs are too fragile to scrape off with a razor blade and should not be moved, if you want fry you'll have to transfer all the fish out of that tank. The duplicareus eggs can be moved to a separate container with a little aeration, and, IME, a drop or two of methylene blue will stop fungusing of the good eggs

Here they are.They were laid in mostly 10+ groups, but when I started rolling off the plant leaves they felt firm and sticky. Rolled fairly easy off plants, they are slightly yellow amber color. Currently in a hang on breeder with an air stone. The water dribbles at a decent rate so it will stay warm and clean hopefully help prevent fungus, till I can get a small tank tomorrow.

post-5607-0-98863000-1361604158_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-72187700-1361604376_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I agree that the fry chances of survial are small. I have never found any black fry in my tanks (they are all bare bottom which I am sure reduces their chances even more).

I do however remove the eggs -- most BY HAND -- but I have also scraped some off using a razor. Unlike Syno321 I have not found the eggs all that fragile, it maybe due to the fact that all my blacks are bred and raised in R/O water.

To hatch, the eggs are placed in cheap plastic 'Glad' 24oz containers of fresh R/O water (1 drop methylene blue in 2 liters of water). As the fry hatch I move them to new 24oz container of just fresh R/O water. From this point the fry get 100% water changes daily (well - most of the time). At about 7-10 days they are moved to the 4 cup size. When they out grow the 4 cup size I move them into commercial cottage cheese containers, add air, and reduce water changes to 100% every second day. I am also using this system for my angels. One note: The room is heated to 75 degrees

Good luck with your eggs, hope you get some fry.

I agree that the fry chances of survial are small. I have never found any black fry in my tanks (they are all bare bottom which I am sure reduces their chances even more).

I do however remove the eggs -- most BY HAND -- but I have also scraped some off using a razor. Unlike Syno321 I have not found the eggs all that fragile, it maybe due to the fact that all my blacks are bred and raised in R/O water.

To hatch, the eggs are placed in cheap plastic 'Glad' 24oz containers of fresh R/O water (1 drop methylene blue in 2 liters of water). As the fry hatch I move them to new 24oz container of just fresh R/O water. From this point the fry get 100% water changes daily (well - most of the time). At about 7-10 days they are moved to the 4 cup size. When they out grow the 4 cup size I move them into commercial cottage cheese containers, add air, and reduce water changes to 100% every second day. I am also using this system for my angels. One note: The room is heated to 75 degrees

I understand the soft water being good for the eggs and aids in hatching (common for many soft water fish), but when do you start to move the fry from 100% RO? Or do you raise these fish in RO for life? Does that make selling them difficult - I'd imagine it'd be easier to move fish that are acclimated to local water conditions?

Well checked them, there are a few white ones I am going to remove. I might have to much water movement as they are all piled up hoping that didn't hurt them. Still doing a happy panic dance. I am thinking of flipping the hang on so it hangs in to the tank, keeping just the air stone in and just doing some small WC everyday to keep the water clean. Ran out and got some methyl blue and a critter creature acrylic cage of around 3 G. I can move them to this once they hatch and grow a bit. I have a small heater and filter sponge for it. Setting the sponge in the parents tank to seed it. Oh I hope they make it.

I understand the soft water being good for the eggs and aids in hatching (common for many soft water fish), but when do you start to move the fry from 100% RO? Or do you raise these fish in RO for life? Does that make selling them difficult - I'd imagine it'd be easier to move fish that are acclimated to local water conditions?

jvision,

100% R/O, with 30 to 50% water change weekly to help prevent PH crashes

Acclimation has not been a problem. I have sold black cories in Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton and Calgary. To date no one has reported any problems.

Please note that I live in a rural area in Saskatchewan, my local water is VERY HARD well water, which is the number 1 reason for R/O. I acclimate purchases slowly over a 6 to 8 hour time frame. You can do it faster if the PH is close. My R/O is at 6.7. I don't think I have ever lost a fish during the acclimation process. If you have any concerns setting up a drip system is likely the safest.