T5 Ho Bulb Change

cainechow

After a little more than a year I finally changed the bulb in my little 18" Sunblaster T5HO. What a difference between the old bulb and this new one. The new one is much more white where the old one had gotten more yellow. You'd never notice if it weren't for a side by side comparison. I wonder if this was one of the contributing factors in my battle with cyano since cyano really loves the yellow.

Has anyone had cyano or algae blooms because of old bulbs and then gotten it under control after changing bulbs?

I know I'd read before that the lights getting old could contribute to algae and cyano but I'd never put two and two together while battling cyano the last couple of months. I've already killed it all off with an H2O2 treatment which was super effective, but not very nice to the plants.

I'll have to setup some google calendar reminders for the next couple of years for bulb changes :) Unless I get my diy LEDs wired up any time this decade.

I remember when tue lights were getting more efficient, back in the days of te Aquatic Plants Digest (it all came by email - not Internet forums!), the common thought was T12s should be replaced every 6mos or so, T8s would last a year before they'd need replacing; and when T5s came out... WOAH! They only needed replacing if they burned out!

Now, I think the common thought is a tube, is a tube, is a tube - replace it AT LEAST annually.

Lots of conflicting info. on the net about life of T5HO lamps,but once you do a side by side comparisne of 1 year old lamps and new it is a eye opener.I have also noticed some " no name" T5HO lamps included with new fixtures do worse than the brand name lamps.I guess when a company has their name on the lamps quality control is stepped up.