Rili Shrimp Opinions/advice

SuperGuppyGirl

So picked these guys up, beautiful even mix of the clear to red markings. Now they are breeding like crazy. 70% of the shrimplets are like the parents but the other half are divided to say 15% with more red than clear, 15% with very little red and lots of clear (several with only 2 little red strips) should I be culling the ones that are more clear and more red to keep the parents coloring or just let nature take its course? I would like to be able to sell off my excess shrimp while maintaining my breeding colony. THanks in advance.

post-5607-0-21357300-1362023448_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-40330300-1362023483_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I cull my shrimp all the time...though I let them go through several molts first to make sure they're not going to change (I assume that they do). When my orange shrimp breed, sometimes i'll get a few red ones in there...so they get to go to a cull tank...just to see what they turn into if they're going to change at all.

With any shrimps is really up to you to decide which characteristics you want to focus on. Traditional Rili's should have a solid head and tail and a distinct mid section but that should only matter if your goal is to produce the perfect "Rili" type pattern - no one is going to stop you and say you don't have a proper Rili shrimp if you decided to type to create some other type of pattern from them. There so many new patterns popping up in the hobby these days!

Even with the solid colored Neos like cherries and orange there are several variations or shades within each color group!

Well I do like the clear with the little red, I'm thinking the cherry like ones are going to be added to the cherry tank for some new blood. But will wait for a few molts just in case. Be interesting to see if I could make them look like snowballs.

Lol, good god I don't have enough floor space for more. Hmmm although could build some racks being as I used to be a carpenter. Thinking a fry tank is useful as a cull tank, live food and cleaners.

I cull my shrimp all the time...though I let them go through several molts first to make sure they're not going to change (I assume that they do). When my orange shrimp breed, sometimes i'll get a few red ones in there...so they get to go to a cull tank...just to see what they turn into if they're going to change at all.

I agree, I also cull my shrimp all the time. I want to keep them looking nice with solid colors. I also keep Orange shrimp and sometimes you get a couple red or off color shrimp. I don't want to leave those in there to mix with the nice bright orange ones and mess up future generations coloring. So I just scoop them out and add them to my other tanks or use them as live food. I also do it with my cherries. Any ones that aren't red or males that are all clear, I remove.

If you just leave everyone in there to mix together you'll dilute the nice coloring of your shrimp. You don't have to kill them, just remove them from your breeding colony to another tank.