Doing Some Real Work In Fish Room

jeremoose

So we've decided to start a rack. We purchased a 4'Lx2'Wx6'H rack with a capacity of 4500 pounds from Home Depot. Top shelf will be 10 gallons, middle shelf will be 20's, and the bottom will be a 30g and a 15g.

43932159.jpg

54783447.jpg

48990722.jpg

roomb.jpg

All the 10 gallons will be filtered via sponge filters and Aqueon Quitflow 10's. The 20 gallons will be a mixture of sponge filters and HOBs as well. The 30g at the bottom as well as the 15g are undecided.

The tanks will hopefully be a shrimp breeding as well as a crayfish breeding operation. Additionally I'll have a couple fry tanks setup for my Jewels and also for the BN pleco breeding operation.

All the tanks will be planted (some only lightly) and the 10 gallons have light provided by a 4 bulb 216w T5HO light fixture. The other tanks will be similarily done for lighting but I haven't decided what brand or exactly how I'll set it up yet.

Updates to come.

Edited by jeremoose

I had that same shelving unit - actually 3 of them. It held 3 10g per shelf, or a full 33 or a full 25 and a 10.... I think you guys will be fine with whatever you put on it.

I also replaced the pressboard shelves with 3/4" plywood.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing this, the press-board seems pretty sturdy though.

It is... until it gets wet. Don't ask me how I know :cry:

I also replaced the pressboard shelves with 3/4" plywood.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing this, the press-board seems pretty sturdy though.

It is... until it gets wet. Don't ask me how I know :cry:

ack :( yeah was thinking that was what you meant ;) Think I'll get some ply and put a sheet of that on top the pressboard, give me a bigger safety margin.

and since I'm feeling lazy, I'll get them to cut it too hehehe

I also plan on mounting a lighting fixture on the underside, so that would already compromise the pressboard a bit.

Antonio

Edited by Tigs

I second Jason's recommendation of replacing the pressboard. I have the same rack and I guess I spilled some water. The board started to sag and the sagging caused the tanks sitting on the shelf to twist slightly. This twisting caused a tank to spring a minor leak. The board got wet, sagged, broke a seal on another tank. No major leak but seeing 4 tanks sitting on a wet very sagging shelf was scarey to say the least. Another hour or two the whole shelf would have come down and taken the tanks below it out. Like a big domino setup. You have nice flooring, I would think you'd like to keep it that way. Lol.

Edited by Jayba