Doing Some Real Work In Fish Room

jeremoose

Hmm I wonder, does the pressboard come painted or just bare? Perhaps applying a sealant would do the trick regarding the water issue.

Antonio

For the trouble may as well buy a sheet of plywood. I then put blue styrofoam on that so the tanks can settle, and it waterproofs the top. I have also heard of spraying with liquid rubber. Edited by Jayba

Hmm I wonder, does the pressboard come painted or just bare? Perhaps applying a sealant would do the trick regarding the water issue.

Antonio

The pressboard is just bare. If I were to paint it, I'd use an epoxy paint - check out the specialty paint stores for mistints. I picked up a gallon for $5 (regular $50some!) and painted a rack that I made... I think the tanks will rot away before the wood under this paint does!

Okay, picked up the same unit but after the advice on this board modified it a touch. The pressed board it came with is out, in it's placed I've put in some 3/4" pressure treated ply. In addition, once assembled I found the unit is a bit shaky for my peace of mind, thus I've anchored it to the wall behind it.

I'm assuming it will settle down more firmly once loaded up. In order to get the tanks to level and not crack, I've put in 1/4" of cork, which I had leftover from when I did my basement flooring.

All ready for some tank moves now, oh the fun :)

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Finally an update!

The newest update to the rack system. It's a 30g I bought for 15$ as a 20g long at the Calgary auction, if that makes sense.

56922231.jpg

The top rack, 4x10g. From left to right we have Jewel Cichlid juveniles, Jewel Cichlid fry, Geophagus Steindachneri grow-out, and various livebearers/marble cray tank.

15066576.jpg

The Jewel Tanks.

85180676.jpg

The Geo grow-out. Adorable little guys, they'll be getting their own 90g as soon as they get a little larger, they're only about 1/2" currently. They all feed well on NLS.

85451147.jpg

Assorted Swordtails, Guppies, Mollys, and the never-seen Cray. Also feeding on NLS, these guys' babies will become Gar food when they grow up.

31280265.jpg

Finally the BN/Red Rili breeding tank. Haven't noticed any Rili babies yet or even any berried females but I attribute that to that ridiculous mop of Java Moss so I never get to see them.

Becoming increasingly worried that I'm losing Pleco babies although I haven't seen any dead. When they were freshly out of their cave and exploring we could see them ALL the time but now it's hard to spy one.. Are they becoming reclusive like the adults? Or should I actually get in there and move stuff around to see if something is wrong? All levels are good, the big one, Ammonia, being 0.

87064295.jpg

Thanks for looking.

looking good :) I see you have the same problem I have with that shelving unit, it bows a bit when loaded up. Has me a touch worried but not overly so, I'll wait for summer maybe and convert over to a wooden setup.

I'm running much the same as you, 4x10G on top, 2x20G & 3x5G Centre, and 2x20G, 2x10G bottom

cheers

looking good :) I see you have the same problem I have with that shelving unit, it bows a bit when loaded up. Has me a touch worried but not overly so, I'll wait for summer maybe and convert over to a wooden setup.

I'm running much the same as you, 4x10G on top, 2x20G & 3x5G Centre, and 2x20G, 2x10G bottom

cheers

Yep, it's a little bowed but I'm not really worried. I'll be moving at the end of the year so I'll probably have an angle iron stand welded up at a local shop and just use this one in the garage or something. Probably going to replace the middle 20g with a 40g breeder methinks.

Let's see some pics!

EDIT: still want those Macro Shrimp from you!

So I've decided I don't like the 10 gallons setup the way they are so they're going to be swapped for 15 gallons going lengthways, I hate not being able to see to the back of the tanks >.> More updates to follow.