cainechow

Ever since I'd gotten my hands on some rocks that are older than me... wait all rocks are older than all of us. I mean that have been in the family for longer than I am old that were brought over from Hong Kong by my Grandfather, I've been itching to rescape my tank. I finally bit the bullet and just went for it today. It was fun :)

Before:

IMG_20120821_163833.jpg

which then later degraded into a mess and ended up as:

IMG_20130215_063342.jpg

At that point I'd been fighting cyano for months and months and killed it all off using H2O2. It worked awesome, but stressed out the plants a lot, specially the new stem plants that had been in there maybe 3 days before I decided to go chemical on the tank.

This is the tank after re-scape. FTS:

IMG_20130302_154342.jpg

Top:

IMG_20130302_154513.jpg

Left:

IMG_20130302_154604.jpg

Right:

IMG_20130302_154620.jpg

The HC took a big hit and got really yellow but seems to be recovering now and the Red Watermilfoil and Asian Ambulia slowly had all their leaves melt but they all have new growth. They seem to be pretty weed-y, especially the Ambulia. I also added some Rotala Nanjenshan for some mid ground interest. I can't wait for the background plants to grow in and for the HC to green back up and see what the tank "should" look like :)

I really like the rock on the left, but I'm feeling that the right could use just two small stones to balance out the visual flow and add a little bit of complexity to that side. I might dig around to see what smaller rocks I can come up with that can work there, but I'll give it a week to see how I feel about it.

Any one have some constructive criticism for the rock layout and plant placement/selection? Ego stroking is also accepted. ;)

Edited by cainechow

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2 rocks on the right side in your first layout might work well on the right side of your current layout. Even just adding that small front rock to the same place on the current tank might look great. I too can't wait until the plants grow in!

Bah! I can't seem to embed images from my mobile browser... That gizmo is a hang on surface skimming overflow box.

IMG_20121106_210743.jpg

I used to have it at the back of the tank but I get better circulation with it on the side. I have a small sump that houses my bio media, heater, purigen, return pump which also acts as my co2 diffuser. The overflow box skims pretty well, but it has issues and I'm not that happy with it. I might go back to a PVC overflow but haven't quite decided yet.

<edit: embedded the overflow image>

Edited by cainechow

I've seen it done - you just have to run it low for a week or so. Just be sure that you're sure that you're sure that it's not tempered... that would not be good! :cry:

Perhaps if you needed to use silicone for something...for it to dry.

Yes, if you were to use silicone as a gasket... of course a rubber gasket works well, too!

You might want to have a lot of towels on hand just in case. Those cheap 10gals are often tempered - I would say the bottom pane is for sure. Have the video cam going and make yourself famous on YouTube if it should break.... :w00t: